DG965WH SLOW performance RRS feed

• Question

• Okay I have a 965WHKMR and no matter how I try to install it, Native AHCI, Native IDE, Native RAID, or Legacy the unit is SLOW. This unit ran fine when it was running XP / Vista and my wife was using it for game playing. I've tried different drives, in and out of SATA 3GB  mode. I've tried different drivers from Intel, including a couple i saw linked here. I've tried loading it from both optical drives. I've tried different cables (both SATA and IDE)

C2D E6300
    Intel DG965WHKMR
    4GB Memory (PC2-5300, Intel Cert)
    3 different (2 different models) Seagate 250GB
    1 FDD
    1 DVD
    1 DVDRW
    BFG 650W PSU
    Onboard video

Any ideas? I know Intel doesn't directly support drivers for the board (boo, hiss Intel, WHS is not a threat to your server product line - yes I know it's based on 2k3, but still)

I've gotten WHS to work on my K8V-SE Deluxe from Asus but it only has 2x2 SATA and I'm already planning on 2x250GB and 2x1TB and I'd like future expandability. I'd also like to run PlayOn (by the Media Mall) on the server to feed my various music and video files, hence the preference for the C2D so that there's a little headroom to transcode on the fly. (PlayOn is adding support for the Wii - which saves me a bit'o cash) I'm also a bit of a poor father nowadays and would really like to avoid purchasing a new board.

Any ideas?
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 4:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    what makes you think it is "slow"?

Which version does your Home Server show in the console under Settings/Resources?
    The very first version pre Power Pack 1 had some slowdown factors.

Installing any applications (besides Add-Ins designed for the OS) on the server is unsupported and might break the Windows Home Server functionality.

Other than that I cannot see any slow down factors in the hardware alone. You could check task manager, if there is something eating CPU or memory at a high level. Also heavy disk activity over a long time could indicate a problem, if there is no direct reason for it.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 2:59 PM
  • Yes, what it slow about it? Boot times, file transfers, console response?

I use an athlon64 x2-3800 with 1g ddr400 and it seems to have plenty of horsepower.
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 9:56 PM
  • I know Intel doesn't directly support drivers for the board...
    When I read this from the Intel site on this board, you have your work cut out for you:

"Microsoft Windows Server* 2003 or 2008: Intel® Desktop Boards do not currently support Microsoft Windows Server 2003 or 2008. There are no plans for making drivers available for this operating system."

Bottom line, this board is not WHS friendly and maybe impossible to get it to work the way you want it to.
    Friday, October 9, 2009 1:28 AM