Cant browse CRM after Server OS Upgrade from Windows Server 2008 to 2012 RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi

    Cant browse CRM after Server OS Upgrade from Windows Server 2008 to 2012. I can ping the site, but the site does not exist on IIS. its basically a blank site i did an in place upgrade of the OS. Had the error below:

    "One or more problems have been detected during IIS upgrade. As a precaution, one or more IIS services have been disabled. Please review the following error message:

    Data loss has occurred - You upgraded your operating system or switched from one Windows SKU to another SKU, and data from the previous installation of IIS has been lost or copied incorrectly. As a result, the services W3SVC and MSFTPSVC have been disabled. Before enabling these services, you should review the latest IIS 7.0 compatibility information."

    Is it possible to bring back the site? if yes what do i need to do ?

    Please Assist.


    • Edited by emerson29 Monday, November 27, 2017 7:08 PM
    Monday, November 27, 2017 7:03 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

    If the website itself is missing then you should be able to run the installer again and connect to an existing instance of the CRM (db), this should install the server components without doing anything to the DB, only change that should happen might be regarding the AD user groups, the installer might create new ones.

    It goes without saying, make backups of your database before doing that and the server if you have any tools for that.

    You could also try and add the website again(new site and app pool), there is most likely information somewhere regarding how to configure the site, it should be under something close to "ProgramFiles\Microsoft CRM\web".

    Best regards,

    Halldór Jóhannsson

    Wednesday, November 29, 2017 8:57 AM
  • Hi Halldor,

    Thanks for your reply. I tried to start the installation and repair it, but it didn't give me much options and still said the site does not exist. in fact when I check the trace, the site Id does not exist, reason why it gives an "Object Reference error".

    Have you done something like that before ? If yes, how did you resolve it ?

    I read and many people didn't recommend it.


    Thursday, November 30, 2017 6:09 AM
  • What I am talking about is pretty much the same steps as you perform when you move the CRM server installation (not the DB just the website) to a new server, this error seems to indicate that your IIS pretty much got reset and the website no longer exists there, I am guessing that when you try to repair the tool is trying to find the website that should exists but does not any longer.

    You could uninstall the CRM on the windows server and then reinstall it, then the installer should create the website from scratch again and connect to the old DB, just make sure again if you go this route to backup your DB.

    You could also create a ticket with Microsoft and have them help you with this matter, it is hard to assess the exact problem without more information and/or access to the server to see the state of everything.

    Here is information on the process.


    Halldór Jóhannsson

    Thursday, November 30, 2017 9:18 AM