Sync to more than one location RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have the following synctoy 2.0 setup :

Laptop A
    NAS
    Desktop A (Vista x64)

I configured the sync from Laptop A (Left) to NAS (Right) as Echo. Works fine so far.

Now I want to setup the NAS (Left) to Destop A (Right) as Echo. My Desktop A is Vista x64 and I have Synctoy 2.0 x64 version installed. Do anybody see a problem with this setup? i.e. NAS being Right folder to Laptop A and Left to Desktop A.

If the above setup is ok then if I want to change the setup to Synchronize in both the places i.e. Laptop A (Left) to NAS (right) and NAS (Left) to Desktop A (Right). Remember the Desktop A is Vista x64.

Thanks for your help in advance.

-Ramesh
    Friday, March 27, 2009 3:50 AM

Answers

• Hi Ramesh,

Laptop <--Sync or Echo --> NAS <--Sync or Echo --> Desktop should work. Even when OS is different for Laptop and Desktop as the synctoy installation isn't changing - just the sync action is changing from Echo to Sync. One caution though - if you start syncing both Laptop and Desktop to/from NAS, you might see some files may haven't been sync'ed up - that would be due concurrent operation on the folder that is serving as Right for Laptop and Left for Desktop. So we would recommend syncing the folder pairs sequentially on laptop and the desktop. That said, there's a known issue with syncing with NAS (search on this forum) which would be fixed in the next release.

-Sameer
    Monday, March 30, 2009 8:08 PM

All replies

• Yes, that can work. only the meta data under folders will be synced as extra data, but it will not affect you.
    Only maybe sometime you will change at both sides of the Laptop and Desktop, SyncToy has his decision to choose which win.
    I mean i am not sure whether it always will be the same as you want.

Thanks,
    Baoke
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, March 30, 2009 3:44 AM
  • Hi Ramesh,

Laptop <--Sync or Echo --> NAS <--Sync or Echo --> Desktop should work. Even when OS is different for Laptop and Desktop as the synctoy installation isn't changing - just the sync action is changing from Echo to Sync. One caution though - if you start syncing both Laptop and Desktop to/from NAS, you might see some files may haven't been sync'ed up - that would be due concurrent operation on the folder that is serving as Right for Laptop and Left for Desktop. So we would recommend syncing the folder pairs sequentially on laptop and the desktop. That said, there's a known issue with syncing with NAS (search on this forum) which would be fixed in the next release.

-Sameer
    Monday, March 30, 2009 8:08 PM
  • Maybe I'm missing something, but this configuration seems unnecessary.  It seems to me that you want to have your laptop be the master source of data, with backed-up copies on the NAS and desktop.  So instead of having changes go Laptop --> NAS --> Desktop, why not just have two echo pairs:  Laptop --> NAS and Laptop --> Desktop?  That way, they're each getting the direct copy from the laptop and there's no need to use the NAS as the "middle-man".
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 3:23 PM