User Folder Redirection? RRS feed

• Question

• Have a new WHS 2011 server and looking to redirect folders from the client machines (3) client machines to the server.  I cant seem to find the links to enable this.  The old WHS did this out of the box - cant find it in new 2011.  Is this option available? 

RobW
    Monday, July 25, 2011 3:54 PM

All replies

• What do you actually mean by "redirect folders"?
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, July 25, 2011 4:14 PM
  • I want to take the My Docs, Music, Photos and alike and redirect them from the local machines to the WHS for centralization and storage.  So when a user logs into any of hte 3 machines, all the content matches. 
    RobW
    Monday, July 25, 2011 5:36 PM
  • Windows Home Server doesn't perform folder redirection for shell folders. That's a function of the operating system. To redirect a folder such as "My Documents" in Windows 7, you would right click on it, select Properties, then Location. Type the location (on your server) for the folder, and choose to Move... the folder. Almost identical functionality exists in XP and Vista.

Note: redirecting folders to your server may work well for you; it may also cause a lot of annoying issues. For instance, redirection isn't usually desirable on a laptop, which you'll presumably be taking to locations other than home. It's also not desirable for folders that are created and maintained by programs that don't expect to share their data. An example of this would be an iTunes music database. iTunes is a single user application; having two or more users accessing the music librayr simultaneously can corrupt the library. So do this after careful consideration, and at your own risk.

Edit: You may be looking to create a "roaming profile". If you do a search in this forum for "roaming profile" one of the results should be a decent post by (I think) Paul Adare on how to set this up for your users. It's a little different than simply redirecting a folder. Note that, strictly speaking, this will be "unsupported" because it will require you to use the server desktop. It should work, however.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Edited by Ken Warren Monday, July 25, 2011 6:03 PM more info
    Monday, July 25, 2011 5:56 PM
  • OK, now I understand. WHS2011 does not by default create individual User areas, unlike WHS1. You can manually create these in WHS2011 by using the Dashboard tools and giving appropriate rights to your users (Accounts also created using Dashboard and matching the credentials on the Client machines). You can then point each client User area to the server either using \\Server\User1, \\Server\User2 etc or by mapping them to a client drive letter and doing it that way.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, July 25, 2011 6:01 PM