Vail has detected a hard disk problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have just started getting a hard disk warning problem in Vail (updated release).   It is great to get this warning but ll I am being supplied is a Disk Name that is the model number of the disk in the system.

Fine if you only have one of those disks.  A bit difficult if you have four.  The volume name is coming up as Unknown.

Does anyone know how you can identify which disk it is that is faulty.  Ideas at all please.

Thanks

Laurie

Friday, September 3, 2010 7:20 AM

Answers

• Vail allows you to name a disk that's in server storage. When you do so, it recommends that you apply a label to the disk so you can identify it physically. If you don't name a disk, Vail displays the results of some standard Windows API calls that return information about the disk. The exact data you get back can vary from disk to disk, and from motherboard (or add-on controller) to motherboard.

Bottom line is that you can identify the disks if you want to. If you add 4 disks all at once, all the same model, and don't name/label them, that's your choice.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 3, 2010 12:53 PM

All replies

• Vail allows you to name a disk that's in server storage. When you do so, it recommends that you apply a label to the disk so you can identify it physically. If you don't name a disk, Vail displays the results of some standard Windows API calls that return information about the disk. The exact data you get back can vary from disk to disk, and from motherboard (or add-on controller) to motherboard.

Bottom line is that you can identify the disks if you want to. If you add 4 disks all at once, all the same model, and don't name/label them, that's your choice.

Friday, September 3, 2010 12:53 PM
  • In this warning isn't the serial number listed? If not I would put in a suggestion and post back so others can vote on this.

If you forget or don't label the drives I think that the S/N should be on there. It is if you look at the properties on Dashboard for the drives.

--
    Don
    Friday, September 3, 2010 1:46 PM
  • Don, the information returned is hardware dependent. If the serial number is part of the data returned, great, otherwise Microsoft can't display it.
    Friday, September 3, 2010 1:54 PM
  • That is the problem.  I have given them names when I put them in the storage pool.  I added each drive one at a time and labelled so that I could identify them when I needed to.  You know, followed the instructions.

The message about the hard drive is not coming up in Dashboard but I see it when I remote into the server.  It is a popup window warning of the problem and giving the option for additional information to help you identify the drive.  The problem disk is only identified by its model number.  No serial number - no Volume name (unknown shown).

I have 4 drives in the storage pool and one in the server pool.  I am about to remove the one from the server pool and put it int he storage pool to see if that changes what happens.

Ok, just as I write this I have gone into Dashboard and I see a data problem has come up showing a data problem on a hard drive and IT CLEARLY IDENTIFIES the drive.  I am now in the process of removing it so I can see what is happening.  I have been seeing this problem for about 2 days on the Remote Desktop (without being able to identify the drive) but it has taken this long to show up in Dashboard.  It will be interesting to see what happens now.  Very strange.

I have been using Remote Desktop to copy files to the storage from my backup server to the test bed.  BTW when you look at the properties of the drives in the storage pool it does show the Serial Number.

Thanks

Laurie

Friday, September 3, 2010 10:52 PM
  • The message about the hard drive is not coming up in Dashboard but I see it when I remote into the server.  It is a popup window warning of the problem and giving the option for additional information to help you identify the drive.  The problem disk is only identified by its model number.  No serial number - no Volume name (unknown shown).

I have 4 drives in the storage pool and one in the server pool.  I am about to remove the one from the server pool and put it int he storage pool to see if that changes what happens.

Ok, just as I write this I have gone into Dashboard and I see a data problem has come up showing a data problem on a hard drive and IT CLEARLY IDENTIFIES the drive.  I am now in the process of removing it so I can see what is happening.  I have been seeing this problem for about 2 days on the Remote Desktop (without being able to identify the drive) but it has taken this long to show up in Dashboard.  It will be interesting to see what happens now.  Very strange.

I have been using Remote Desktop to copy files to the storage from my backup server to the test bed.  BTW when you look at the properties of the drives in the storage pool it does show the Serial Number.

Thanks

Laurie

If it's not in the Dashboard it's not Vail raising the error, it's the operating system, which is Windows Server 2008 R2. There's nothing that the Vail team can do to change this functionality other than hook the error and raise it in the Dashboard as well. There's a threshold built in for most issues; if something pops up once and never again, Vail will likely not raise an error at all ("random cosmic ray" errors). If it happens several days running, an error is raised. So maybe the threshold is a bit high on this one. To that end, can you bug this on Connect?
    Sunday, September 5, 2010 2:27 PM