Assigning the same contact to multiple accounts. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

How can I assign the same contact to multiple accounts - as contacts, not connections?  I find it odd that Dynamics wont allow you to do this natively but other systems like salesforce and sugar have this functionality very easily...

thanks!

Monday, February 17, 2014 3:36 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You don't change the native relationship, but you create your new N:N relationship. Remember that just creating a relationship is not enough; you still have to "display it" on the related records menu (or add a lookup field on the form in case of 1:N relationships). Only then you can add an existing contact by using this new N:N relationship. The behavior of CRM that you describe suggests that you still try to add a contact with the native "primary contact" relationship.

Kind regards,

Kuba

-- Jakub (kuba) Skałbania, Dynamics CRM MVP Netwise

• Marked as answer by Dynamix12 Monday, February 17, 2014 11:18 PM
    Monday, February 17, 2014 10:26 PM
  • You would get this error when you use the 1:N relationship (OOB / Custom)... Make sure you add contact using the new custom N:N relationship you created. CRM will allow you to add contacts to multiple accounts

If my response helps you in finding your answer then please click 'Mark as Answer' and 'Vote as Helpful'

Monday, February 17, 2014 11:01 PM

All replies

• The same is possible in Dynamics too..

Just update the primary contact field on multiple Accounts to the same contact record. In the primary contact look-up uncheck the 'filter by related company name'

or

Create custom N:N relationship between accounts-contacts and use it as desired.

If my response helps you in finding your answer then please click 'Mark as Answer' and 'Vote as Helpful'

• Proposed as answer by Mamatha Swamy Monday, February 17, 2014 3:45 PM
    Monday, February 17, 2014 3:45 PM
  • Thanks for your reply but when I create a N:N from contacts to accounts, it still doesn't work.  Is there anything else in particular I need to define in the N:N relationship? Thanks
    Monday, February 17, 2014 4:07 PM
  • When creating the relationship, by default Display Option will be 'Do not display'. Change it to either plural name or a custom label. Once the changes are saved and published, you would see this new relationship in the accounts that would allow to 'add existing contacts'

Monday, February 17, 2014 5:24 PM
  • Thanks,

However that too still does not work. The error I receive when attempting to relate a contact that is already associated to an account to the additonal account is <Message>This record cannot be added because it already has a parent record.</Message>"

Monday, February 17, 2014 6:42 PM
  • You could also just use Relationsships in CRM... That allows you to build m-m relationships between any record in CRM..

Just use it to build the relationship between the Accounts and Contacts.

Rune Daub Senior Consultant - Dynateam CRM http://www.xrmmanagement.com

Monday, February 17, 2014 7:37 PM
  • so would you then replace the existing N:1 relationship that is native? account_primary_contact?
    Monday, February 17, 2014 8:19 PM
  • Hi,

You don't change the native relationship, but you create your new N:N relationship. Remember that just creating a relationship is not enough; you still have to "display it" on the related records menu (or add a lookup field on the form in case of 1:N relationships). Only then you can add an existing contact by using this new N:N relationship. The behavior of CRM that you describe suggests that you still try to add a contact with the native "primary contact" relationship.

Kind regards,

Kuba

-- Jakub (kuba) Skałbania, Dynamics CRM MVP Netwise

Monday, February 17, 2014 10:26 PM
  • You would get this error when you use the 1:N relationship (OOB / Custom)... Make sure you add contact using the new custom N:N relationship you created. CRM will allow you to add contacts to multiple accounts

Monday, February 17, 2014 11:01 PM
  • thanks guys, sorry I was misunderstanding... the last answers clarified this!
    Monday, February 17, 2014 11:19 PM
  • When I am in the contact look-up I'm not able to uncheck the box for 'filter by related company name'
    Monday, December 22, 2014 9:43 PM