After 2.5 install, ie windows not loading pics, page seems broken RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

After updating to onecare 2.5 on all 3 of my pc's (1 at home, 2 at work), I am constantly getting ie windows that load fine, but shortly after, when going to a new page or hitting the back button, pic's don't load and just show the "red x" and all formatting is gone. The window seems broken and all text from the site I'm on will be left justified and overlapping each other and any pics, flash, etc.. have red x's.

I have to close all windows and re-open, only to have it happen again shortly thereafter.

I've scoured the internet and tried the following with no help:

Clearing cache & temp files

Changing coding to Auto-select

updated Java

updated flash

checked advanced settings to make sure "allow pics" was checked - but pics do load, just eventually they won't.

I"m not using toggle images.exe

I'm running xp sp3 on all 3 machines. any help is appreciated.

Scott

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 12:43 AM

Answers

• I removed it, still happened.

So I reinstalled 2.5 and thru doing more research found the ie reset button (tools, internet options, advanced, reset), did so and restarted and all is fine now.

Monday, July 28, 2008 9:47 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, I believe that the 2.5 upgrade timing and your page loading problems are coincidental, but I could be wrong.

To test this out, I suggest turning off the OneCare firewall first, and then browsing (safe) sites for a few minutes. Turn it back on again if the problem persists, which I believe it will, and then turn off the virus and spyware protection for a few minutes and browse (safe) sites to see if the problem persists.

What you are describing sounds like a connection problem or network issue - it could be with your router or it could be with your ISP. It could also be an IE problem with page rendering, but I would expect the problem to happen on the initial connection and not just on reloads. It could be a problem with IE not dealing with its own cache properly, but you've indicated that you cleared the cache, yet the problem persists.

It sounds like the initial loading is working fine, but then it is failing on reloads.

Have you considered trying an alternate web browser such as Firefox to determine if the problem is specific to IE?

-steve

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 4:12 PM
  • Hi, thanks for the response.

I tried turning off the firewall and then the virus protection, but as you guessed it still occurred. Initial loading is fine, but after about 10 min off surfing the red x's and broken pages appear as I move to new pages or back to old ones.

I'm running 3 different pc's (dell, sony & gateway all on xp sp3) on 2 different networks and routers and all are experiencing the same exact problem immediately after the install of 2.5. They have all worked flawlessly for the past 2 years under ie and Onecare v.1, 1.5 and 2 (until 2 stopped updating so I went to 2.5).

Firefox is not 100% compatible with our software here at work which was developed for ie, so that's not an option.

I'ts becoming quite difficult to work with clients here without having to clear everything, close and reopen windows every 10 minutes. I"m going to remove 2.5 off one of the pc's and see what happens. It seems the install of 2.5 triggered something, I just need to know if it's within ie or onecare.

any other ideas are appreciated, the red x's are driving me nuts.

Scott

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 8:57 PM
  • Hi, Scott. The red x would drive me nuts, too! Please let us know if removing OneCare completely makes the problem go away. Perhaps there is some other software on the PC that is conflicting with OneCare and causing your issue.

Are you running any other spyware protection, pop-up blocker, browser protection, etc.?

-steve

Thursday, July 24, 2008 1:18 AM
  • I removed it, still happened.

So I reinstalled 2.5 and thru doing more research found the ie reset button (tools, internet options, advanced, reset), did so and restarted and all is fine now.

Monday, July 28, 2008 9:47 PM
  • Glad to read that it was eventually resolved by resetting IE.

-steve

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 1:48 PM