Is this Seagate drive safe from the Advanced Format problem? RRS feed

Answers

• Advanced format drives have 4k sectors, and shouldn't be used in Windows Home Server without using a tool which allows aligning partitions properly (and probably not at all for the system drive).

Most manufacturers publish product data sheets that list the native sector size for drives; have you looked for one on the Seagate site? That would be the best (fastest) way to answer your question... 

I'll also note that you could buy a somewhat cheaper SATA II drive; there is no hard drive today with actual mechanical components that will benefit from the extra speed of SATA III.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by be789 Friday, September 24, 2010 7:49 PM
    Friday, September 24, 2010 12:28 PM

All replies

• Advanced format drives have 4k sectors, and shouldn't be used in Windows Home Server without using a tool which allows aligning partitions properly (and probably not at all for the system drive).

Most manufacturers publish product data sheets that list the native sector size for drives; have you looked for one on the Seagate site? That would be the best (fastest) way to answer your question... 

I'll also note that you could buy a somewhat cheaper SATA II drive; there is no hard drive today with actual mechanical components that will benefit from the extra speed of SATA III.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by be789 Friday, September 24, 2010 7:49 PM
    Friday, September 24, 2010 12:28 PM
  • I originally chose that drive because there were no 3 Gb/sec 2 TB drives at 7200 RPM from Seagate.  I've since changed my mind and went with this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148590&Tpk=N82E16822148590

1 TB is actually fine for me, and I wanted the ES grade drive.  The datasheet confirmed that it's 512 bytes per sector.

Thanks for help!

Friday, September 24, 2010 7:49 PM