none
Do we see unread posts in the forum? RRS feed

• Question

• It seems that we are no longer seeing posts to a thread that we haven't yet read when we have the "Unread" checkbox checked.

Has anyone else noticed this?

It is imperative that we see additional posts on treads that we have not yet read via having the "Unread" box checked, yes?

Garth Henderson - Vanguard Business Technology

Friday, April 19, 2013 4:26 PM

Answers

• I posted this problem a while ago. It has been more than 2 months since that functionality changed and we now can only see threads which we never read before. You may want to see my more generic message Bugs and Issues and reply in it to draw some support.

I also haven't seen forum owners in this forum lately. So, we, forum users, are left in the dark as which bugs are taking priority.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Thursday, May 2, 2013 5:03 PM

All replies

• bump . . . I've discussed this with others and they agree that the Forum used to show unread posts after a tread was marked as "read".

Point being, when a new post is added to a thread, the thread should be shown as unread, yes?

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 10:55 AM
  • Garth, as you frequently read all the posts in this (and possibly other) forums, you might want to start using a newsreader (such as Windows Live Mail) with the Community Bridge (see my signature).  Not only does this combination allow you to see unread messages easily (as well as catch up threads, to mark all messages in the thread as ‘read’), but in general it is a far superior experience for anyone using the forums for anything more complex that posting questions.

Thanks,
    David

Efficiently read and post to forums with newsreaders: http://communitybridge.codeplex.com
    Wednesday, May 1, 2013 2:40 PM
  • I'm going to move this to the Forums Issues forum, where I think they can help you find out what the expected behavior is.

Justin Anderson, LightSwitch Development Team

Thursday, May 2, 2013 3:13 AM
  • Thanks, guys.

I posted here first because I think that the forum used to always show threads with additional posts as unread.

I wanted to make sure this is how it used to be and that it is now broke before jumping into the forum "forum" with a post saying it was broke.

So far, the couple of folks that I've talked with agree with me that this is a bug that needs to be fixed.

I've been very happy just having the system tell me what posts I haven't yet read.  

As a work around, I now keep a piece of paper taped to my monitor that tells me the date/time I last read the posts.

Thursday, May 2, 2013 5:04 AM
  • I posted this problem a while ago. It has been more than 2 months since that functionality changed and we now can only see threads which we never read before. You may want to see my more generic message Bugs and Issues and reply in it to draw some support.

I also haven't seen forum owners in this forum lately. So, we, forum users, are left in the dark as which bugs are taking priority.

My blog

Thursday, May 2, 2013 5:03 PM
  • What are the repro steps for this bug?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Friday, May 24, 2013 7:05 PM
    Owner
  • Check 'Unread' checkbox for the forum or for your own threads. For the forums only threads in bold appear. For 'My Threads' you'll get 0 results.

My blog

Friday, May 24, 2013 9:33 PM
  • The bug is that once you check a tread as read, you will never see that thread again EVEN after additional posts are posted to the thread.   The points is that we should always see threads as being unread if there are posts that were added since the last time we checked that the thread was read.  

It is very simple, each time a thread has a new post, it should be marked as unread. 

This is the way the forum worked before.

Read and Unread for a thread should be determined based on posts within threads and not threads themselves.  Yes, we mark that we have read a thread, but any new posts within a thread should reset the thread as being unread.

It would be nice to have an option to "Ignore future posts on thread" to selectively not see posts on threads.

I want to see all new posts each day to certain forums.

Generally, I don't want to clutter up my email with notifications telling me that someone has posted to a thread that I want an alert on.   Yes, there will be a few posts that I would specify to receive alerts on. 

Saturday, May 25, 2013 1:43 PM