How should i manage users from other pcs? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Recently i upgrade from my old WHS v1 to WHS 2011 and i have a problem with all the PCs connected to the server. Every PC have a user name and password and i have created into WHS (dashboard) the same user with the same password. This is how i think it should work.

When i start the client-PC with the user and pass the launchpad starts all is fine, because i have the autologon and looks like the user connects fine, but if i try to access to the shared folders it shows a pop-up to logon into the server, so i put the same user and pass and all works fine...

So i need to logon two times, first with the launchpad and second time navegating into the shared folders... If i don´t do this, i start MCE and i can´t access to the shared folders.

I don´t have the server joined to the homegroup, i use the user account to give permissions.

Any help would be apreciated.

Regards :)

Asus Pundit R 300 Gb SATA + 300 Gb PATA
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 8:23 AM

Answers

• Well it looks like making a new complet setup of my client (O.S. and connector) the problem is solved, so, maybe the previous connector for WHS v.1, even when i completely unistall it, let some piece of bits who creates the problem.

Now all is working fine.

Thanks and best regards :)

• Marked as answer by Mayankel Thursday, August 11, 2011 8:27 AM
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 8:27 AM

All replies

• Are you using special characters in your user names or passwords? Are you using a localized version of Windows on clients and a different localization on your server?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 12:48 PM
  • You might want to verify the user permissions in WHS.  If you don't have proper access permissions set for the base user, then WHS might be asking you to logon again with admin rights.
    Friday, August 5, 2011 4:25 AM
  • Are you using special characters in your user names or passwords? Are you using a localized version of Windows on clients and a different localization on your server?

Hi Ken,

No, i use easy names without special characters ans numerical passwords, i use Windows 7 x64 Spanish for the clients and, of course the english version of WHS 2011.

The user have permisions created from the dashboar per user, and, if i navigate to the shared folders from the clients and logon one time it works fine until the next reboot, but if i start the pc and open WMC directly, even with the launchpad loged on, i can't access to the shared folders until i do it from the explorer loggin on...

Friday, August 5, 2011 8:38 AM
  • ... i use Windows 7 x64 Spanish for the clients and, of course the english version of WHS 2011. ...

I suspect that this is the source of your issue. What looks like a normal character on your client may well be seen as a special character on your server, since Spanish uses various accented characters in addition to or instead of standard Latin characters (as do many other languages that use the Latin alphabet). Can you try the Spanish version of Windows Home Server 2011 instead?

Friday, August 5, 2011 1:41 PM
  •  

... i use Windows 7 x64 Spanish for the clients and, of course the english version of WHS 2011. ...

I suspect that this is the source of your issue. What looks like a normal character on your client may well be seen as a special character on your server, since Spanish uses various accented characters in addition to or instead of standard Latin characters (as do many other languages that use the Latin alphabet). Can you try the Spanish version of Windows Home Server 2011 instead?

HI again Ken,

Not sure this is the problem as i'm testing with users with very simple user name: "mayankel", "marta" and "salon". As you can see, there are not extrange charatcters in this names. And respect to your sugestion, i'm afraid i can't locate any spanish version of WHS 2011. I bought my WHS in amazon UK because of the lack of this software here in Spain... anyway

Friday, August 5, 2011 3:42 PM
  • Well it looks like making a new complet setup of my client (O.S. and connector) the problem is solved, so, maybe the previous connector for WHS v.1, even when i completely unistall it, let some piece of bits who creates the problem.

Now all is working fine.

• Marked as answer by Mayankel Thursday, August 11, 2011 8:27 AM
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 8:27 AM