Installation without a DVD RRS feed

• Question

• I have an old dual PentiumIII/512MB (with onboard SCSI and IDE) which has been running Windows 2003 Server perfectly for several years.  I would very much like to test it with WHS, but the BIOS does not allow me to boot from DVD nor USB flash disk.  Does anyone know if there still is a way around?
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 11:48 AM

All replies

• You are able to boot from USB Flash drive, but the drive must be big enough to fit WHS on. Also I think your Motherboard would have to support booting from removable drives. best idea would be to put a drive in install WHS and then remove the drive, like I did and I am using a old Celeron skt 478 with 512mb Ram
    HMG
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 12:20 PM
  • Thanks for your answer HMG!
    The BIOS have no specific option for booting from USB, but because there is one called "Try other boot devices", I had to try.  Not unexpectedly it didn't work.  I have also tried to change the CD player with a DVD unit (IDE).  This functions OK with CDs, but not with DVDs (boot and Windows).
    Now, I'have ordered a SCSI DVD player.  May be I can get the machine to boot from that one.  Another alternative to be tested is reducing the WHS ISO file and create a bootable CD.
    Any other ideas, please let me know!
    JW
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 9:06 PM