Restore CD fails me :( ...or did I fail it? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello all,

I am here seeking advice on how to resolve an issue with WHS restore.

First a little back ground on what I have on my system. My server runs WHS OEM (is there a retail version?), on a Norco box with 6 hot swappable front mounted HDD’s which four of the six are stuffed with 750G HDD’s . I filled the box with my old AMD X2 2GHz processor and 1G of DDR I had, the board has gigabit Ethernet. I have a Netgear router for WLAN and that runs to a Netgear 4 port switch 10/1000.

I have 3 PC’s on the network, 1 printer and, 1 security camera. One PC is my desktop the others are both HP laptops (One for my wife and one for the kids).  I was having difficulty with my wife’s laptop and decided to restore her system, partly to test the restore function and partly out of desire not to load all that c**p back onto her system.

I grabbed my trusty restore CD and went to town, a few minutes later it responded stating no networking drivers found. So after a load of research I found that A. no true wireless restore (I am confused as most home users I know use wireless) and B. I need to get the drivers from the backup. So with this ammunition in hand I lower shields on my WLAN broadcast my IFF opps my SSID and grabmy 100ft Ethernet cable and slap into the port and opened and copied the WHS driver back up file to my USB drive.

I abit giddy at this point thinking I have got this licked, so I restart the machine and after a few moments it prompts me for my USB drive and  woosh I have a wireless driver…. but no LAN driver. No luck WHS not found again, so I have my LAN/WLAN ready open to the world drivers per WHS installed but no restore???

At this point I figured that maybe a third part source for the driver might work but again WHS Restore did not recognize that the LAN driver, I need help PLEASE L

Eric
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 8:07 PM

Answers

• 1. There's no WHS retail version.

2. You may need to disable wireless when you try to restore using UTP cable

3. If it's HP it shouldn't be too dififcult to get the appropriate NIC drivers from their website

4. I never heard of anyone doing succesful wireless restore, however if you want try you probably need completely disable ALL wireless security, so broadcast ssid, disable encryption, MAC address filtering, firewall.

5. Try the Windows Home Server Public Beta - Home Computer Restore CD (Dual Boot).

6. If you open a backup from the laptop and you browse the drivers in the "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" folder do you find any driver for your NIC? (look in the .inf file in each of the folders in the drivers)

Thursday, July 3, 2008 9:08 PM

All replies

• 1. There's no WHS retail version.

3. If it's HP it shouldn't be too dififcult to get the appropriate NIC drivers from their website

4. I never heard of anyone doing succesful wireless restore, however if you want try you probably need completely disable ALL wireless security, so broadcast ssid, disable encryption, MAC address filtering, firewall.

5. Try the Windows Home Server Public Beta - Home Computer Restore CD (Dual Boot).

6. If you open a backup from the laptop and you browse the drivers in the "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" folder do you find any driver for your NIC? (look in the .inf file in each of the folders in the drivers)

Thursday, July 3, 2008 9:08 PM
  • First, thank you for the response J

1. There's no WHS retail version.

Reply:  I thought as much Wink

Reply: You made me remember something  <evil grin>  I had already done this… but I had the wireless turned off also while trying to restore wirelessly <Oops> So thanks for reminding me!

3. If it's HP it shouldn't be too difficult to get the appropriate NIC drivers from their website

Reply: I took the drivers straight off the laptop and added to the USB drive (encase you wondering I have restored the laptop using the supplied HP software… but this is not the goal)

4. I never heard of anyone doing successful wireless restore, however if you want try you probably need completely disable ALL wireless security, so broadcast ssid, disable encryption, MAC address filtering, firewall.

Reply: I have all security disabled including what you have noted above :}

Reply: I will have to give this a try and report back!

Reply: See above reply #3

Again thank you for your response… Man I am stuck with software designed to back my systems up that does not work L

Thursday, July 3, 2008 10:59 PM
  • I guess you checked BIOS nic settings to make sure it's enabled?

If all else fails, take the hdd unit out of the laptop, mount in ordinary pc with mainstream nic (you can even use USB to IDE/SATA adapter and connect disk to USB port) and then do restore. It's a bit of  a hassle but it will probably the most efficient way around your problem.

Also please post your problem on Windows Homeserver Connect Feedback site

Also read page 3 of  this thread  

Thursday, July 3, 2008 11:31 PM
  •  

I guess you checked BIOS nic settings to make sure it's enabled?

Reply: It crossed my mind but No I did not so I check that out thank you

If all else fails, take the hdd unit out of the laptop, mount in ordinary pc with mainstream nic (you can even use USB to IDE/SATA adapter and connect disk to USB port) and then do restore. It's a bit of  a hassle but it will probably the most efficient way around your problem.

Reply: Humm I agree I could do this but it would somewhat defeat the purpose and there are 2 drives on the laptop, but still thanks for the great idea

Friday, July 4, 2008 12:08 AM
  • Ok great news the dual boot WHS restore disk was able to add the driver Smile

Thanks for the great ideas

Friday, July 4, 2008 11:16 AM