My Tasks: "Cannot communicate with server. Verify your connection and try again" RRS feed

• Question

• This seems to be an intermittent fault or a data sensitivity on the My Task page (reminiscent of 2007 unexpected error problems on my task page).  Page takes a long time loading then prompts for credentials before failing with this error. Once it occurs it is difficult to fix

rgds

Mike
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 1:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

Please see if the ULS logs give any useful information. Also, you may want to see if Michael's suggestion above does not solve the issue for you (we have seen cases where IE security settings set incorrectly causes failures).

Thanks,
    Boaz Lev
    MSFT
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 7:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Mike, Can you elaborate on your step to reproduce this issue? Also, do you have any entries from the ULS logs that are interesting in this context? Thanks, Boaz Lev MSFT
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 11:25 PM
  • Hello Sleekstone,

I remember those issues too.  It's very frustrating.  Try the following

Open IE 7 or IE 8 browser.

Go to Internet Options.
        then Security tab
          then Local Intranet
              click Sites
                  click Advance
                       add the PWA site to the the sites

After that, click on Custom Level
       scroll to the bottom
         make suer Logon is either "Automatice logon Only in Intranet zone" 
    or "Automatice logon with current username and password"

Cheers

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 3:24 AM
  • Hi Boaz

The problem arose with a specific plan.  If I deleted the published plan My Tasks page behaved. At first I thought the page was timing out because of quantity of data (200 + assignments from this single plan), but then created similar volume with other plans, and though slow, page would open. I suspected I had dodgy assignment data in the problem plan. I had created all the resource assignments by pasting the resource column (from the notes field! - don't ask). I deleted the assignments and then created each one individually. This seemed to solve the problem.  However there is still a sensitivity there. I added some custom fields (graphical indicators to the view. It then failed as before. I revised the view but there was still a problem. I unpublished the plan, then republished and issue was resolved.

I don't have any uls logs (I have only just found out how to switch them on).

rgds

Mike
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 9:45 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Please see if the ULS logs give any useful information. Also, you may want to see if Michael's suggestion above does not solve the issue for you (we have seen cases where IE security settings set incorrectly causes failures).

Thanks,
    Boaz Lev
    MSFT
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 7:01 PM
  • Hi Boaz

I am now playing in an RC environment. I am no longer getting "Cannot communicate with server. Verify your connection and try again" or challenged for credentials, but am simply getting "An unknown error has occurred".  It clearly relates to a specific project and resource assignment after it has been published. The project is a largish project which I migrated across from beta. I think it is corrupted and has occurred because of pasting data.

This was demonstrated by changing a duration for a task, system advising that assignment was outside task duration, after oking that, the duration of the task below changed!!! This was after saving plan into xml format and then saving back to server.

rgds

Mike

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 3:45 PM