Genuine Problem solved - was unable, now able! RRS feed

• Question

• My original thread was here:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1107170&SiteID=25

Since then, I've had the following...

1) worked with three Microsoft employees over several weeks on email with about 3-4 days turnaround on things to try.  Third person sent me to Microsoft to get install disks. (my HP didn't come with any)

2) MS phone person sent me back to HP.  He figured that my adding a new video card hosed up my key and my validation.  Not their problem - must be HP (??).

3) HP says it's just past warranty (1 year).  They say they'll send me a "Windows XP disk"
    for $15.00.  OK, sounds goofy, but at this point, $15 would be a bargain to have my PC back.

4) I get the new disks from HP.  But they say they're "recover" disks.  Instructions say how to
    do a reinstall of only the XP files, but the actual disk only has the option to reformat and start over (ouch!) when I go to use them.  Sorry, uh, no, but I'm not ready to reinstall everything.

So I go off on my own crusade to get my PC back to working (again) determined to just figure this out.  Main symptoms are:

1) can't validate with genuine advantage
    2) windowsupdate is a blank screen

Discussion - why would microsoft ever have a blank screen on the windows update site?  Try searching for "blank screen" and windows update and see how many others have had this.  If there's a problem, MS should bring up a debug screen instead of "blank".  I digress...

Sub symptoms:

1) I can't do the regsvr32 on  msxml3.dll  I get an error.
    2) I just found installing other software that it didn't update my registery.  I installed on another  PC OK, then compared registry entries.  I found the missing ones, then tried to import.  It failed because permissions were off for that entry.  I enabled updates for myself (an admin permission) and then imported the missing keys (exported from other PC) and it worked fine. Cool, but why didn't the installer have permission to do that before?

Today I found a link with someone having similar problems.  They send you to an Adobe site that describes the fix for generic install problems.  Hmmm.   I download the subinacl from MS, followed the adobe directions to reset registry permissions (of course *I* should have permission on my computer!), and great - everything works!  No reinstall!!!!!!

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1145429&SiteID=1

which sends you here:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=fb1634cb

After running the reset.cmd script, I did the regsvr32 msxml3.dll.  It worked.  Then went to ms update site - it worked (first time in months!).   I even installed IE7 (all my problems started when IE7 failed to install) with a grand auto update of my MS files (!).

Anyways, my PC is back, and I wanted to pass this on to others with problems validating or getting updates.   The key was to get registry permissions reset, then getting the other DLL's in place (as shown in several similar posts) and then everything works.   Main thing - get registry permissions fixed first.

Good luck!!

- Tim

Saturday, March 17, 2007 10:16 PM

Answers

• Update:

I found that IE7 had a problem in another account on the computer.   It was bringing up blank screens on AOL mail as well as a yearbook java application.  Hmmm, this looks familiar.  So I tried to register msxml3.dll on her account.  Failed - just like above.

The windows Run Once in IE7 would not run either.

So I ran the reset.cmd (described above) from *that* account.  It ran for a few minutes.  After that, I could reregister msxml3.dll (in that account)  and everything else started working (AOL mail, yearbook, run once).  (recall that msxml3 was apparently causing Genuine Advantage to stop working).

So there may be a need to restore permissions on the registry for each user one at a time.

(what could have messed them up?)

I'm surprized how many people I can find describing similar problems on the internet of blank screens, install problems, etc, that didn't get resolved, and I wonder how many are due to this. Microsoft should just have a "fix script" available nstead of creating that "reset.cmd" routine from Adobe with that DOS style microsoft batch command.  But hey, it got things working.

- Tim

Monday, March 19, 2007 2:05 AM

All replies

• Update:

I found that IE7 had a problem in another account on the computer.   It was bringing up blank screens on AOL mail as well as a yearbook java application.  Hmmm, this looks familiar.  So I tried to register msxml3.dll on her account.  Failed - just like above.

The windows Run Once in IE7 would not run either.

So I ran the reset.cmd (described above) from *that* account.  It ran for a few minutes.  After that, I could reregister msxml3.dll (in that account)  and everything else started working (AOL mail, yearbook, run once).  (recall that msxml3 was apparently causing Genuine Advantage to stop working).

So there may be a need to restore permissions on the registry for each user one at a time.

(what could have messed them up?)

I'm surprized how many people I can find describing similar problems on the internet of blank screens, install problems, etc, that didn't get resolved, and I wonder how many are due to this. Microsoft should just have a "fix script" available nstead of creating that "reset.cmd" routine from Adobe with that DOS style microsoft batch command.  But hey, it got things working.

- Tim

Monday, March 19, 2007 2:05 AM
  • Thank you for the post Timbo!

I hope others can be help by your experience.

Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Program Manager

--------------------------------------------------------

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.
    --------------------------------------------------------

Monday, March 19, 2007 11:05 PM