Experiences with nForce2 400 Asus A7N8X-X & WHS? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Ok, I'm looking to test drive WHS...my spare system is an nForce2 mobo, which it seems there has been a very mixed bag of experiences...some using the nForce networking, some using the nForce IDE controller, others using add on network chips & RAID controllers. I am using a very barebones Asus A7N8X-X motherboard, and it has no add on comonents on board. It is using the built in nForce MCP Networking and IDE controller. Can anyone share any experiences? I am already a bit concerned about fidning netwroking drivers for Windows Server 2003. I take it I am going to want to try toinstall the XP drivers? Should I try to install the chipset drivers and all, or should I just try to install the network driver. Should I use the nVidia drivers or the latest ones from Asus? Any personal experiences and thoughts would be apreciated. I'm not going to be messing with this til Friday, so I've got some time. I'm just trying to find experiences. Thanks!

Monday, November 19, 2007 7:52 PM

All replies

• You should try to find Windows Server 2003 drivers for the chipset and network, if at all possible. It's almost certain that the drivers for XP and WS2K3 will be the same, but every now and then a manufacturer slips in a ringer...

If possible, use Asus drivers. In theory they may have been tuned for your particular motherboard. If Asus doesn't have them, then nVidia WS2K3 drivers will be a safer bet than XP drivers.
    Tuesday, November 20, 2007 1:47 AM