Office XP Pro Fails "Validation" for Updates RRS feed

• Question

• I'm yet another victim of this after trying to update Office XP Pro last night.  The resulting screen accusing me of illegally using pirated software -- and then wanting to sell me Office 2007 is INSULTING.  I bought Office XP Pro directly from Microsoft - so Microsoft is accusing itself of selling pirated software to people.  In two and a half years of having Office XP Pro installed and religiously checking updates on the second Tuesday of each month, I've never had any problem until last night.  I've never had a "service shop" or a "friend" work on the computer (I do all my own work on it).  Furthermore, a call to Microsoft's tech support ended up with CLUELESS answers, such as

(a) Uninstall Office and reinstall it.  Of course this entails applying SP1, SP2 and SP3 afterward, and it takes at least an hour to perform (I had applied SP1, SP2 and SP3 years ago and kept the service pack installers just in case I needed to reinstall Office XP).  Nope -- no fix.  I spent FOUR HOURS doing this three times without avail.  WHO WIILL PAY ME FOR MY TIME??????

(b) The standard "reformat your hard drive," *** that first tier tech support tells people to do when their read-from script hits the end of the last page.  Then, reinstall WinXP Pro and then reinstall MS Office XP Pro.  Yeah -- right -- and how many hours do you want me to spend of MY VALUABLE TIME backing up over 100 GB of legacy data, browser settings, email, etc., and then reinstalling over 50 applications in addition to Office XP chasing a ghost around.

This is ***!  The screens that come up accusing me of software piracy and criminal activity -- and then wanting to SELL ME a "legit" copy of Office XP are INSULTING!  It came directly from Microsoft (not through a retailer or reseller), so I can only conclude Microsoft is illegally pirating its own software and directly selling it to people.

Now I'm left with Office XP updated to SP3 (which it originally was years ago) but lacking all the critical security updates that were applied over the past couple of years.

I NEED A FIX AND I NEED IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 2:35 PM

Answers

• I should begin with thanking you for responding.  Your suggestions have been overtaken by my pursuing the problem with another two phone calls to Microsoft prior to checking the forum this evening.  Just finding a telephone number to call was a challenge.  Some of my venting is for Microsoft's benefit - assuming Microsoft browses through their forums to see what's happening.

After the guy on the other end of the line in the first call finally understood the problem and gave me instructions on how to trigger a installation activation "validation" as if Office XP were installed the first time (after suffering all the anti-piracy propaganda he's undoubtedly required to spew at everyone who calls). That still didn't work. Another phone call using the phone number on the installation activation dialog enabled bringing up a screen, typing in a code and the Office Update site was happy with my Office XP Pro again. All this took another hour and a half today, after which I was finally able to use Office Update and recover the 17 critical updates issued since Service Pack 3 (that were wiped out by the first complete uninstall and reinstall last night).

I'm extremely irritated at spending four hours going in circles last night including a rather lengthy call to a clueless MS tech support person - after which I still had to prepare a significant presentation for the next morning - and didn't finish that until 2:30 AM. I understand the piracy issue MS is dealing with, but it seems MS is now taking a new "Kill them all and let God sort them out" attitude of erring entirely on the side of refusing authentication and redirecting all the many, undeserving victims of it to a web page accusatory of committing illegal software piracy, and all the hyperlinks on which lead to more pages of the same, ultimate offering to sell the victim a "legit" copy of the software.

I hope you can imagine how this strikes someone who knows very well - without question - that it is a true and legitimate Office distro directly from Microsoft, that it's installed on only one machine (and never has been on more than one), that it's only been installed with it's proper key, and that that same said key has never been divulged to anyone. I'm still baffled about why, after over two and a half years and two dozen updates using Office Update, that it suddenly fails. The only clue I have is a new ActiveX control was installed for Genuine Advantage when it did fail, which tells me that Microsoft induced this problem with a "buggy" ActiveX control.

That this trip around the block with Genuine Advantage has been a Genuine Annoyance is an extreme understatement. It consumed five and a half hours of my time. If Microsoft gets to charge steep fees for phone support, do I get to send Microsoft a bill for my time - consumed by a flawed "Genuine Advantage" ActiveX control created by Microsoft? I don't think Microsoft cares one iota about the cost to their legitimate, honest, paying customers' productivity. There are alternatives to Microsoft Office - and Microsoft Windows - that don't require squirreling around with flawed Genuine Advantage authentication schemes, and they don't consume hours of time fixing things induced unilaterally by Microsoft - time that could have been much more productively spent.

Microsoft's new, quite aggressive, and flawed "Genuine Advantage" piracy prevention strategy - if continued for long - will ultimately cost Microsoft more in driving current paying, honest customers into alternative products than it recoups in piracy prevention. The number of postings to this forum (and the huge number found elsewhere) should be a clue - a small tip of the iceberg - of a problem of significant magnitude with Genuine Advantage making utterly unacceptable numbers of completely innocent victims.

Again, thanks for responding.  BTW - I did go through the diagnostics along with visiting all the pages you posted links to late last night.  It passed all the diagnostics - and it passed the "Activate Office" needed when first installing office as well.  Root cause was found late this morning during my second call - flaws (aka bugs) in the newest Office Update "Genuine Advantage" ActiveX control.
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 2:14 AM
  • Hi John,

I recently helped a customer of ours with the activation of her Microsoft Office XP Business Edition.  Both the Internet and phone automated activation processes failed.  When we were connected to a Microsoft Professional, we were told that the support period for Office XP had expired and that to activate the software, my customer, would need to pay $49.00, for software she already owned!  We went through two different first level technical employees, two level two technical support employees, one supervisor and one customer service employee; none of them able to provide a reasonable answer to the question, Why does she need to pay for re-activating software that she already owns.

Not too surprising however, my customer called back the following Monday and had no problems activating the software and was not charged the $49.  Total time spent with Microsoft Professionals....6 hours.

Is this activation fee a trend that owners of Office XP can expect in the future?

Thanks

ColoradoDoug

Monday, March 19, 2007 6:00 PM

All replies

• John,

As you I too am a customer and try putting myself in your spot while providing customer service as I would expect to receive.  I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing and would like to provide you with some self-help options we have made available for our customers to address the issue you are currently experiencing. Please follow the steps outlined below as it could either resolve your issue or, if need be, provide us with additional information to determine the cause of this issue.

1. Ensure you log onto the computer experiencing the issue with “Administrator” rights.
    2. Next we would like to confirm that you are running the most current version of the Genuine Advantage control on your computer. In order to do this please follow the below link and choose the “Validate Office” option.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

If the above steps did not resolve your issue lets continue with the steps below.

I would like to provide some of the self-help options we have made available for our customers to address these issues. If you could please follow the steps outlined below the diagnostics Web Site will attempt to resolve the validation errors you are experiencing with Office.
    http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/RunDiags.aspx?displayLang=en

Next follow the on-screen prompts to resolve the issue if any of the checks at the above site fail. You can do this by choosing the “Resolve Now” button if it appears. If, after attempting to resolve the issue as per the instructions on the above site fails, please refer to the link below and run the MGA Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012    

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”, you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

If the issue still has not been resolved could you please provide us with the following information?

1. After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.
    2. Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 5:51 PM
  • I should begin with thanking you for responding.  Your suggestions have been overtaken by my pursuing the problem with another two phone calls to Microsoft prior to checking the forum this evening.  Just finding a telephone number to call was a challenge.  Some of my venting is for Microsoft's benefit - assuming Microsoft browses through their forums to see what's happening.

After the guy on the other end of the line in the first call finally understood the problem and gave me instructions on how to trigger a installation activation "validation" as if Office XP were installed the first time (after suffering all the anti-piracy propaganda he's undoubtedly required to spew at everyone who calls). That still didn't work. Another phone call using the phone number on the installation activation dialog enabled bringing up a screen, typing in a code and the Office Update site was happy with my Office XP Pro again. All this took another hour and a half today, after which I was finally able to use Office Update and recover the 17 critical updates issued since Service Pack 3 (that were wiped out by the first complete uninstall and reinstall last night).

I'm extremely irritated at spending four hours going in circles last night including a rather lengthy call to a clueless MS tech support person - after which I still had to prepare a significant presentation for the next morning - and didn't finish that until 2:30 AM. I understand the piracy issue MS is dealing with, but it seems MS is now taking a new "Kill them all and let God sort them out" attitude of erring entirely on the side of refusing authentication and redirecting all the many, undeserving victims of it to a web page accusatory of committing illegal software piracy, and all the hyperlinks on which lead to more pages of the same, ultimate offering to sell the victim a "legit" copy of the software.

I hope you can imagine how this strikes someone who knows very well - without question - that it is a true and legitimate Office distro directly from Microsoft, that it's installed on only one machine (and never has been on more than one), that it's only been installed with it's proper key, and that that same said key has never been divulged to anyone. I'm still baffled about why, after over two and a half years and two dozen updates using Office Update, that it suddenly fails. The only clue I have is a new ActiveX control was installed for Genuine Advantage when it did fail, which tells me that Microsoft induced this problem with a "buggy" ActiveX control.

That this trip around the block with Genuine Advantage has been a Genuine Annoyance is an extreme understatement. It consumed five and a half hours of my time. If Microsoft gets to charge steep fees for phone support, do I get to send Microsoft a bill for my time - consumed by a flawed "Genuine Advantage" ActiveX control created by Microsoft? I don't think Microsoft cares one iota about the cost to their legitimate, honest, paying customers' productivity. There are alternatives to Microsoft Office - and Microsoft Windows - that don't require squirreling around with flawed Genuine Advantage authentication schemes, and they don't consume hours of time fixing things induced unilaterally by Microsoft - time that could have been much more productively spent.

Microsoft's new, quite aggressive, and flawed "Genuine Advantage" piracy prevention strategy - if continued for long - will ultimately cost Microsoft more in driving current paying, honest customers into alternative products than it recoups in piracy prevention. The number of postings to this forum (and the huge number found elsewhere) should be a clue - a small tip of the iceberg - of a problem of significant magnitude with Genuine Advantage making utterly unacceptable numbers of completely innocent victims.

Again, thanks for responding.  BTW - I did go through the diagnostics along with visiting all the pages you posted links to late last night.  It passed all the diagnostics - and it passed the "Activate Office" needed when first installing office as well.  Root cause was found late this morning during my second call - flaws (aka bugs) in the newest Office Update "Genuine Advantage" ActiveX control.
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 2:14 AM
  •  

Sounds all too familiar to us as well.  Note: we are a licensed OEM Microsoft partner and systems builder and we get the same kind of run around from Microsoft.  About ten days ago one of our office systems failed to validate with the following informational message.

The product key used to install Office has been blocked by Microsoft.   [0x80180114]

After several hours worth of repeated transfers between various Microsoft "Professionals" who could barely even speak the english language, let alone actually begin to assist with this particular problem we were asked to try correspondence with another Microsoft technical support individual.  Now, after playing e-mail tag for over a week with (Ms. Monica Tong) the latest e-mail suggested that we perform the following steps.

1. Open the following folder: 

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\

2. Locate the data.dat and data.bak files

3. Please right click to rename the files to something different, such as opt10.old. Please understand that we may not find all the files listed above. If so, it is normal, please continue to rename the rest of the files.

4. Restart the computer and contact the Microsoft Activation Center to re-activate the Office XP program. The Office Activation Center can be reached at (888) 652-2342 from 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM Pacific Time.

Note: as of this time we have spent over two hours of our time on this day alone being transferred to individuals in different departments at Microsoft desperatley trying to reach someone who can actually assist with this ongoing issue.

Unfortunately, at this time alls we can do is say to try and hang in there - Or switch to Word Perfect

Thursday, March 15, 2007 3:51 PM
  • Deleting the data.xxx files was one of the steps I went through.  Works for some but didn't work for me and apparently doesn't work for quite a few other folks.  My particular problem with Genuine Advantage is fixed for now - who knows when it will reemerge from The Black Lagoon again - like the end of a horror flick in which the last 5-10 seconds sets the stage for a sequel by showing the monster isn't really dead yet.  I ended up having to go through a complete triggering of the original Activiation during which a code was entered (provided by Microsoft) to force it, followed by Genuine Advantage verification to ensure it was working properly again.

I'm not likely to be asking for more solutions if it does return to wreak havoc again - in this forum or any other - as I now have a Plan B for migrating to an Open Source operating system with Open Source software applications and zero Microsoft content.  All the $$$$$ spent on Microsoft products to legitimately operate several computers in close compliance with their EULAs is a "sunk cost."  Spending more - my time does have monetary value - chasing after sunk costs without any return or gain, including likelihood of future return, doesn't pass a Very Basic Business Case muster and must cease.  It's also called "cutting one's losses."  I need to spend my time with gainful productivity, not system and application recovery to a prior state.
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 5:44 PM
  • John,

Again I am sorry to hear about your situation. As you I too am a customer and try putting myself in your spot while providing customer service as I would expect to receive. I would like to try another process.  Some activation problems indicate your license file is corrupted for Microsoft Office 2003 or for Microsoft Office XP. If the license file is corrupted, you cannot resolve the problem by removing and then reinstalling the Office product. The license file is not removed when you remove the Office product. Additionally, the file is not overwritten when you reinstall the Office product. Another symptom of a corrupted license file is a failure to successfully pass Office Genuine Advantage validation. If the license file is corrupted, use the following methods to delete the license file for Office 2003.

1. Click Start, click Run, type C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data, and then click OK.

NOTE:  The application data file may be hidden. Use the Tools drop down menu and follow:>Folder Options->View->Hidden Files and Folders->Show Hidden Files and Folders to show the folder. Please re-hide the files once you have completed all the steps.

2. Right-click the Opa11.dat file, and then click Delete.

IMPORTANT:  DO NOT DELETE THE OPA11.bak FILE.

3. Close the folder.

4. Start an Office 2003 program to start the Office 2003 Activation Wizard.

Did this work?  John I hope this will offer more assistance for future problems. I look forward to the outcome at your earliest opportunity.

Thank you,
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Program Manager

Friday, March 16, 2007 12:47 AM
  • Hi John,

I recently helped a customer of ours with the activation of her Microsoft Office XP Business Edition.  Both the Internet and phone automated activation processes failed.  When we were connected to a Microsoft Professional, we were told that the support period for Office XP had expired and that to activate the software, my customer, would need to pay $49.00, for software she already owned!  We went through two different first level technical employees, two level two technical support employees, one supervisor and one customer service employee; none of them able to provide a reasonable answer to the question, Why does she need to pay for re-activating software that she already owns.

Not too surprising however, my customer called back the following Monday and had no problems activating the software and was not charged the $49.  Total time spent with Microsoft Professionals....6 hours.

Is this activation fee a trend that owners of Office XP can expect in the future?

Thanks

ColoradoDoug

Monday, March 19, 2007 6:00 PM
  • Stephen-

I was directed to this forum thread after a lengthy chat session over the same issue with HP Tech Support "specialist,"  Vinod Naguesh N.  I think Vinod was busy casting votes for Sanjaya because he certainly didn't respond with any solutions despite leaving me waiting in a chat window for 35 minutes at the end of American Idol on Tuesday night .  In any event, I saw your post to John and tried your solution 3 times by deleting the Opa11.dat file, rebooting and starting an Office 2003 product.  First, I tried Excel, then Outlook and then Word.  When I used the activation wizard, it told me that my product was already activated. 

My HP notebook still can't pass the validation test to update my Office and when I attempted to use the other option method recommended by Microsoft, (i.e. Go Back To Your Reseller, Contact the business where you purchased Office, purchased your computer with Office pre-installed, or had your computer serviced. Ask for their help to ensure that the copy of Office you purchased or received with the purchase of a new computer is genuine,"  Vinod told me, "Anthony, You'll need to uninstall your non-genuine version of Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage and then purchase a genuine version of Microsoft Office and install it."  When I told Vinod I bought Office 2003 Professional preloaded on my laptop, he told me it wasn't HP's problem because I had a OEM version.  OEM or not, my invoice from HP clearly states I paid for a license and an authentic version of Office 2003 professional.  I don't have time to spend 6-8 hours on the phone wading through several tech support levels at HP and Microsoft to resolve the issue.  I don't think I should have to pay the firm's IT consultant to do so either.  Any other suggestions to fix the issue other than a class action lawsuit against HP alleging they sold counterfeit copies of Office with their business notebooks.

Anthony J. Calati

Thursday, March 22, 2007 12:51 PM
  •  

Stephen,

We are also having this problem and I have follow your suggestions for resolving problems when the system thinks MS Office isn't genuine.  We bought ours from Dell and have been using it for 3 yrs but when I try to get SP 3 it thinks it hasn't been activated.  I got as far as using the MGA Diagnostic tool and have copied the Office tab (see below).  Does this shed any light on the issue?

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Cached / Grace status: N/A, N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-V2PC4-CYGR3-CX3DY
    Windows Product Key Hash: yvxUgo3uwzvFyjD1DEknv+IUkSs=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-OEM-2243091-44608
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: {6E74CA26-5534-4B46-9907-13B0AC798D10}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    Commit / Reboot / BRT: N/A, N/A, N/A
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.540.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 101 Not Activated
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-171-1_3E121E02-532-80004005_3E121E02-288-80004005_3E121E02-372-80004005_3E121E02-452-80004005_3E121E02-312-80004005_3E121E02-523-80004005_3E121E02-288-80004005

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: http://CA-CDF-FILES:8080
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\oembios.bin
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\oembios.dat
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\oembios.sig

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{6E74CA26-5534-4B46-9907-13B0AC798D10}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0039.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-CX3DY</PKey><PID>55274-OEM-2243091-44608</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-3577522493-1447584193-4282797774</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>OptiPlex GX260               </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Version>A05</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20030226000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>59D5314F01842052</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>1</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Dell Computer Corporation</name><model>Dell OPTIPLEX GX260</model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>101</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>101</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>74E803A6ECFDD82</Val><Hash>uJbxmTXguqpjBbIMqQCUV7yUfiw=</Hash><Pid>54186-OEM-1792952-58209</Pid><PidType>4</PidType></Product><Product GUID="{91190409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Publisher 2002</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>925748F6EBB7AC2</Val><Hash>w5LicC+aZ88hZj64Qu4GLEqbZkc=</Hash><Pid>54197-OEM-1692881-90209</Pid><PidType>4</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Thursday, July 26, 2007 1:24 PM
  •  

Coark,

Hope your weekend will be better. First I noticed your have proxy setting set at:  http://ca-cdf-files:8080/.  Please turn this off till you can activate then if need be reset. Also turn off any spy software and antivirus software for activation. 

Attached below is a Knowledge Base (KB) article regarding the problem you having.  This article describes how to troubleshoot problems that you may experience when trying to activate a Microsoft Office product.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903275/en-us

When you activate an Office retail license, you enable full product functionality. Additionally, you are no longer prompted to activate the retail license every time that you start the Office product. 

When you try to start or activate an Office product, you may experience symptoms that indicate one of the following:

·         You have not successfully activated the Office product.

·         You must reactivate the Office product.

·         There may be part of a previous Office installation in the registry or in the Office folders.

Please let us know if this gets you back running. 

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager

Saturday, July 28, 2007 1:57 AM
  •  

Hey Stephen,

I have been trying to get updates for a while now... But I keep getting this error, and I don't really know what's up.

And so I tried some of your suggestions and well I didn't get to the resolve part... So I copied the Diagnostic report instead.

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Cached / Grace status: N/A, N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-GD6GR-K6DP3-4C8MT
    Windows Product Key Hash: s2kt66ZJWfV4nS1wFD5F9bxTSDw=
    Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2111907-00102
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    ID: {99BFEBEE-1CF6-4015-8027-1AF1F4808036}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    Commit / Reboot / BRT: N/A, N/A, N/A
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\licdll.dll
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\crypt32.dll
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\advapi32.dll
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\setupapi.dll
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\oembios.bin
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\oembios.dat
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\oembios.sig
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\syssetup.dll

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{99BFEBEE-1CF6-4015-8027-1AF1F4808036}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0039.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-4C8MT</PKey><PID>76477-OEM-2111907-00102</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-515967899-117609710-1417001333</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>Dimension 2400               </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Version>A03</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20030919000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>BB323C4F01842E42</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57868</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Saturday, September 1, 2007 5:40 AM
  • Lillie,

Thank you for posting your diagnostic information. Diagnostic results help our team in determining the root cause of your issue. We are sorry to hear about the problem your currently experiencing. I can see right away what the issue is and why you are not passing validation. Unfortunately, the product key used to install Office is a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked per the request of the legal VLK holder.  As a rule, VLK editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VLK editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

This is why you may be seeing the "Software Counterfeiting" messages on your computer.  You will need to uninstall Office before any further complications occur from being non-genuine. As a customer there are available options you may choose for a resolution. For details on the ways to “Get Genuine”, see the web page that outlined your validation failure details or http://www.microsoft.com/genuine.  It will provide all of the possible steps which you can take. Also please review the Validation Advisor for further guidance at:

https://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/ValidationHelp.aspx

First, if this comes as a total surprise to you, please visit the retailer where you purchased the computer and/or MS Office and let them know Office is a counterfeit copy.  Please print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them proof for the VLK status. Request they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy.

Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) is here to help protect YOU, our valued customer. It is important for more people like you to report piracy @ http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/default.mspx  who have become victims. Microsoft legal will follow up on all leads provided.  Submitting piracy reports will assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices.  You may be eligible for free software if you have high quality counterfeit discs. We CANNOT determine the "Quality" level of non-Genuine submissions and cannot guarantee such a thing here on the forum. We have a 3rd party registered Cryptography lab who evaluates EVERY (really!) submission for the High-Quality Counterfeit replacement program - as they have a pre-determined subset of items they look for.

Lillie, we are sorry to hear about your situation. Please don't hesitate re-posting if you need further assistance.

Thank you

Stephen Holm

OGA Forum Manager

Friday, September 7, 2007 11:48 PM
  • Thank you so much for elucidating your problems folks.  It has confirmed for me that the risk of an unupdated version of Office XP is much lower than the risk of updating. 

Thank you Microsoft for being so paranoid and overpriced as to require this intrusion upon myself as a customer.  If your regular priced software were anywhere near acceptable I do not think piracy would be so rampant.  I recently ended up purchasing the Office Ultimate that is offered for 59.99 for students only (thankfully I am a student).  This should be your regular price and discouted version from there for various programs, it would cut down on piracy dramatically.  If I was not a student, the price of $499 for the full suite, essentially the same thing, would cost more than my computer and cause me to seriously consider pirating it, who wouldn't?

I think for my next computer I will be looking toward oppen office or google docs because all this "protection" from Microsoft is just too much to take.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 6:57 PM