Moving files via remote desktop RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 500Gb drive in slot 1 and a 1Tb in slot 2, with some shares duplicated, some not.
    Everything looks good in the console but I have a couple questions about remote desktop.

1) Can I safely move files around through remote desktop in the d:\share directory to reorganize locally instead of moving files around on the network? I am not sure how folder duplication is managed.

2) Why do I only see what appears to be the 500Gb in the remote desktop as drive D?

3) What does it mean about storage limitations that drive d:\ via remote desktop shows up as 500Gb and 200Gb free even though there is 1.36Tb total and 800Gb free shown via console on total server storage?
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 11:15 PM

Answers

• Microsoft has said that you should never directly manipulate your files and shares through D:\Shares\etc. If you are logging on to the server using Remote Desktop (or physical console) there is a shortcut on the administrator's desktop to the server shares. You should always use that.

Regarding the size of the server storage as shown in Explorer, this is a known quirk. Windows is only showing you the space free on the D: partition, not the space in the storage pool. If you apply the most recent updates (start the WHS console, click Settings, then Update Now...) you'll receive a patch which will allow Explorer on a client to see the full space free in the storage pool.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Wednesday, November 26, 2008 11:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by cweaver Thursday, November 27, 2008 4:28 AM
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 11:26 PM