none
2 wk old server says Hard Drive is Failing RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new HP Mediasmart EX475 that says Hard Drive 1 is failing.  I have had i/o trouble from the beginning and some backup issues as well.  I though it was all cleared up but today I have Conflicts and the lovely Drive Failing message.

I have 2 new drives (500Gb) arriving today.

I have been in touch with 2 HP Support people about the i/o and backup errors and both said they would email me 'somthing to try' -- neither of the emails ever showed up (yes I checked the spam folders :) )

My concern is I don't want to lose any of my data on the drive.  Can anyone lay out a path for installing the two new drives today.  

I'm wondering if I should install them both (I had planned to install 1 and have 1 for backup). I know the failed drive may be replaced and I will be able to use it is backup drive

Once installed, what will hapen with the drive that is failing? 

Thanks!!
    Jerry
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 12:35 PM

Answers

• Hello,
    before getting any hints, please login to the server via Remote Desktop client with the account name Administrator and the password for the WHS console.
    Check the event log of the server in Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools. May be you can see here, which of the disks is causing the trouble.
    If it is the data drive, you could add the new drive to the storage pool, after that remove the trouble disk from the storage pool via console.
    If it is the primary drive with the system partition on it, you would have to remove the disk physically from the system, put the new disk into that position and perform a server recovery according to the description in the HP manual. (This will take a while for rebuilding the tombstones.)
    Maybe there is still non duplicated data on the D: drive, but since you have the disk, you can attach it to any system later (but dont add it to the storage pool again) and copy the files from the hidden folder DE\shares to the Shared folders on server again.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 3:52 PM