restoring backup without WHS RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS 2011 machine will not boot anymore due to a likely hardware failure. I have my desktop PC backed up to the WHS and I need to restore some files from the backup. 

Is there a way to restore the backup files without using a WHS? I took the hard drives containing the backup and installed them on my desktop but I can only see a bunch of .dat files with Windows 7. 

This is unfortunate that my machine failed and it seems that there is no way to read the backup data other than setting up another WHS.

Saturday, February 16, 2013 10:35 AM

Answers

• ... it seems that there is no way to read the backup data other than setting up another WHS.
    That's correct; there is no tool for reading the Windows Home Server backup database except Windows Home Server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by box4 Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:25 PM
    Saturday, February 16, 2013 12:33 PM

All replies

• ... it seems that there is no way to read the backup data other than setting up another WHS.
    That's correct; there is no tool for reading the Windows Home Server backup database except Windows Home Server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by box4 Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:25 PM
    Saturday, February 16, 2013 12:33 PM
  • You could try installing WHS in a VM if you are hardware limited.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, February 16, 2013 1:10 PM
  • Thanks. That's what I wanted to confirm. 
    Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:27 PM
  • Interesting idea. I have very limited knowledge on setting up a VM but I have played around with Virtual Box some time ago. Are you saying I should be able to set up a VM and have it access a physical hard drive? 

Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:33 PM
  • Yes, that's what I was thinking although I have not tried it myself. You might need to create a .vhd file before you can attach it.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, February 18, 2013 8:01 PM