Update Problems after WGA Re-install RRS feed

• Question

•     I have had my computer for over 5 years running XP Pro without a problem. My son gave it to me and it originally had OEM software installed until he changed the Motherboard to have a bigger processor. So, when I did not have receipts, I purchased the WGA Kit. In 5 years, I have never had any problems with downloads or even had to ask for help. It ran fine, but was getting a little sluggish. I decided to do a complete reinstall. Since then, I have done at least 3 reinstalls, 6 or more repairs and I am much greyer than I should be!

Everything works fine until I do the updates. They download and install okay but after, when the computer needs to restart, I get a black screen, followed by the Windows Logo screen and then it restarts...over and over again. It won't start in safe mode or 'Last good configuration' . I end up having to use the repair feature on the WGA disk. I have tried doing just a few updates at a time, but by the time I get to half of them, it starts acting up again. I am on dial-up, and I have been at  this for weeks. I have purchased new ram modules from Crucial as I found out at least one was bad. I have an antivirus program, antispyware program and firewall that I have from my Internet provider. I did a disk clean-up and defragged my computer before my last attempt at downloads. Most of my settings are default - I try not to mess with stuff I am not sure of.

I have had a few errors after I replaced the ram and did a repair with the WGA disk, that when I sent to MS, they said to download SP-2. But that is already supposed to be on the WGA disk. Some fixes for similar problems suggest a umax driver file conflicts with SP-2 and to remove the SP-2 and then re-install it. How can I remove it from the WGA installation. It isn't listed under add/remove programs. I have these drivers, but they were on my machine before the re-install. I had Sp-1 and Sp-2 service packs on it then and never had any problems at all.

Could I have a faulty WGA disk? How do you insert a SP-2 disk, when it is imbedded in the WGA file? Should I download SP-2 ...on dial-up and then would it even install? Do I have to get rid of the drivers and then do a complete re-install? Is there something else that would cause this?

My computer is working just fine as long as I don't do the updates. There is now 51 critical updates that it needs. After waiting hours and hours on dial-up and then ending up having to do a repair in order to get back in, I am really in need of some help.

I have now turned the Auto Restart off and checked the paging file. It is okay. Now I don't want to waste any more time downloading until I get some help.

When I went to school, we weren't even allowed calculators... so please keep that in mind when you reply...  I have learned a lot these past weeks, but I am a long way from being computer literate.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 6:01 AM

Answers

• Hi Pooper!

Please hang in there with me on this.  The issue you are describing really isn't WGA related so I will have to ping some of my counterparts on the Windows Serviceability team to see what they suggest.

As for the WGA Kit you purchased.  You are correct, all new Windows XP CD's manufactured now include SP2 by default.  If you went to Best Buy, or any retail outlet to purchase a copy of Windows XP (both Home and Professional editions), the SP2 binaries are already incorporated into the OS directly.  That is why you are unable to find a way to uninstall them. 

So, you don't have a faulty disk.  As for the other 51 critical updates that your computer needs, those are updates that were released after SP2 was completed.  Some months there are very few updates are released, other months there are more.

It might take me a day or so to track down some information, but I will get back to you.  As for your comment about you not being computer literate...I think you are doing just fine and the information you provided hopefully will help me track down the right person here who can help (because this is out of the scope of my expertise as well)! 

Talk to you soon,
    Michelle

Friday, August 11, 2006 12:24 AM

All replies

• Pooper:

I'm speaking with Michelle. She'll get you a reply ASAP. :)

-phil

Thursday, August 10, 2006 8:59 PM
  • Hi, Pooperscooper,

Boy, you sound frazzled!  I don't blame you from what you posted.

IMO your situation is beyond the scope of what is supposed to be discussed on this message board.

Look at the web site in my signature.  There are many regulars who are always ready for a good challenge!  Post your problem there.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 9:21 PM
  • Hi Pooper!

Please hang in there with me on this.  The issue you are describing really isn't WGA related so I will have to ping some of my counterparts on the Windows Serviceability team to see what they suggest.

As for the WGA Kit you purchased.  You are correct, all new Windows XP CD's manufactured now include SP2 by default.  If you went to Best Buy, or any retail outlet to purchase a copy of Windows XP (both Home and Professional editions), the SP2 binaries are already incorporated into the OS directly.  That is why you are unable to find a way to uninstall them. 

So, you don't have a faulty disk.  As for the other 51 critical updates that your computer needs, those are updates that were released after SP2 was completed.  Some months there are very few updates are released, other months there are more.

It might take me a day or so to track down some information, but I will get back to you.  As for your comment about you not being computer literate...I think you are doing just fine and the information you provided hopefully will help me track down the right person here who can help (because this is out of the scope of my expertise as well)! 

Talk to you soon,
    Michelle

Friday, August 11, 2006 12:24 AM
  •  

Thanks Michelle and Dan...

Yes I will be patient. I know this isn't like the problems you are used to on this site, but since I never had the problem with downloads before, I can't help but think that there must be some conflicts somewhere. I bought the WGA disk, so that I could ensure that I would be able to keep getting updates and so I do think this is a valid problem.

Thanks in advance and I will wait to hear from you.

Friday, August 11, 2006 3:34 AM
  • Hi Pooper,

OK, I've tracked down a friend of mine who can help you through this issue!!! 

What I need you to do is the following:

1) Go to:  http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=1&gprid=9860&c1=509
    2) Select the country where you live.
    3) Start and email service request.
    4) In the problem description section (where it asks you to describe your problem) give the high level details about your problem.
    5) Fill out your contact information and submit.

You will be given a Service Request #, if you could paste the SR# in a response back to me here on the forum that would be great.

Only a PSS engineer can see your case.  I will then collect the SR# and get it directly over to the person who will contact you to work through this issue.  His name is Dave.  If you want me involved in the troubleshooting process as well, just let him know that when he contacts you and he will loop me in.

So...hang tight, I think a resolution may be near!!!

Thanks and I'll keep an eye out for your SR# to be posted here.

~ Michelle

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 6:52 PM
  •  

Hello Michelle,

Thank you for getting back to me.The number is SRZ060816002997. Let's hope this helps!

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 9:09 PM
  • Thanks!!!  I'll get in contact with Dave ASAP!!!  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  Let me know how things are going OK?

Thanks,
    Michelle

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 9:32 PM