Crm 4.0 Service Calendar RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I was wondering if there was a way to change the function of the Service Calendar... We don't use the service calendar for its purpose so I would like to change it so we can input all upcoming Tradeshows/events.  I changed the formatting around a bit on the form- It's not working out for me as I thought it would due to the attributes with the look up field.    I also don't want to create a new form because I'm not sure how to create the calendar view unless someone can give me some guidance.   

Thank you in advance!

-Anne
    Monday, February 9, 2009 2:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Anne, the CRM Service Calendar is a pretty complex page offering a view into the Service Activities assigned to users and facilities/equipment. It's designed for situations where a group of users are creating appointments for another group of users; for example, where office users and setting appointments for field-based engineers or sales people. Once you understand CRM's service scheduling and service management features, it works really well in these scenarios.

However, you could (with a little imagination) use it to meet other requirements, such as a calendar showing trade events that your company is involved or interested in. A simple way to achieve this might be to create a facility/equipment record for the event and then to assign a service activity to that facility on the dates of the event. Or, you could even just have one facility/equipment record for all events.

However, each time you visit the Service Calendar, you'll need to filter the views on the service calendar just to show the facility/equipment records (as standard all the users will also be listed as well as the facilities equipment, and fiddling with the standard service calendar view will require some programming).

Hope this helps, Neil
    Monday, February 9, 2009 3:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Anne, the CRM Service Calendar is a pretty complex page offering a view into the Service Activities assigned to users and facilities/equipment. It's designed for situations where a group of users are creating appointments for another group of users; for example, where office users and setting appointments for field-based engineers or sales people. Once you understand CRM's service scheduling and service management features, it works really well in these scenarios.

However, you could (with a little imagination) use it to meet other requirements, such as a calendar showing trade events that your company is involved or interested in. A simple way to achieve this might be to create a facility/equipment record for the event and then to assign a service activity to that facility on the dates of the event. Or, you could even just have one facility/equipment record for all events.

However, each time you visit the Service Calendar, you'll need to filter the views on the service calendar just to show the facility/equipment records (as standard all the users will also be listed as well as the facilities equipment, and fiddling with the standard service calendar view will require some programming).

Hope this helps, Neil
    Monday, February 9, 2009 3:34 PM
  • Hi Neil,

Thank you very much for your guidance.  I think I may have done something but I'm not sure if it was me or the system, but I now get an error that says "Invalid Argument" following "General error in scheduling engine" ... I believe if I did anything, it was just changing the name of the entitiy.. ex: subject to Event

Any ideas? 

Thank you again!
    Monday, February 9, 2009 4:07 PM