Exclude folders RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to exclude folders from sync ? For instance I marked My Documents to be synced, but I want to exclude a folder under that structure. Is that posible ? THanks
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 11:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Yozh,
    This capability is not available in the Tech Preview today.  Please add this feature to the Wish List sticky thread.

Thanks!
    Richard
    Richard Chung [ Live Mesh ]
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 11:59 PM
    Answerer
  • Yes, please do post to the Wish List. :)

This is an oft-requested feature, and yes I can see it being very useful.  For example: sharing C:\Pictures across your devices and C:\Pictures\Vacation\Hawaii with some set of friends vs. C:\Pictures\Baby with your family--you don't want to have to duplicate copies of files on the same device.  The only dangerous thing with allowing this is if some other endpoint maps a folder within a folder that's the *reverse* of the relationship you've got mapped.  Then you've got infinite cycles and Bad Things can happen.  There's no simple way to tell the user today (among other issues), so we decided to prevent it altogether for the Tech Preview.  Nevertheless, it's something we do want to enable (and voting on it on the Wish List will be great motivation!)  :D

Thanks!
    Richard
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 3:18 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Yozh,
    This capability is not available in the Tech Preview today.  Please add this feature to the Wish List sticky thread.

Thanks!
    Richard
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 11:59 PM
    Answerer
  • :( too bad!
    Wednesday, May 14, 2008 12:26 AM
  • I like this idea. I also would like to be able to share folders within folders. The idea being that I don't have the same folder (sub-folders) syncing more than once.

For example, I have a folder on my desktop at work. This folder is synced with 'the Mesh' (all devices) so I can access it anywhere. I have a folder inside of that folder with pictures. I would like to be able to share this folder with family and friends. Because this folder is inside a 'meshed' folder, I don't want to share it again, as it may become a duplicate. But I don't want to give them access to the main shared folder, just the sub-folder.

I hope this makes sense.
    Steve
    Wednesday, May 14, 2008 11:09 PM
  • swattz101 said:

I like this idea. I also would like to be able to share folders within folders. The idea being that I don't have the same folder (sub-folders) syncing more than once.

I bet you that the team will ask you to post this to the suggestions thread. :-)
    Your explanation made sense to me and I'd like the capability your describe, too.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 12:42 AM
  • Yes, please do post to the Wish List. :)

This is an oft-requested feature, and yes I can see it being very useful.  For example: sharing C:\Pictures across your devices and C:\Pictures\Vacation\Hawaii with some set of friends vs. C:\Pictures\Baby with your family--you don't want to have to duplicate copies of files on the same device.  The only dangerous thing with allowing this is if some other endpoint maps a folder within a folder that's the *reverse* of the relationship you've got mapped.  Then you've got infinite cycles and Bad Things can happen.  There's no simple way to tell the user today (among other issues), so we decided to prevent it altogether for the Tech Preview.  Nevertheless, it's something we do want to enable (and voting on it on the Wish List will be great motivation!)  :D

Thanks!
    Richard
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 3:18 AM
    Answerer