Editing Active Contracts ... Is it possible? RRS feed

• Question

• I apologize if this has been answered before; I searched and couldn't find anything, so here goes.

I was recently put in charge of support for our CRM system here at work and one of the first items that was given to me was the implementation of a new customization that was in the works before I took the reins from another analyst that worked with a 3rd party developer to create the customization (the customizations were all done according to the "approved" Microsoft methods using the SDK). 

We are currently using CRM 3.0 and the customization involves adding products to leads and "carrying" that information from the lead all the way to a contract. Additionally, in our business each product has some custom fields that we use to categorize the service area and business model for our products.  The customization will allow us to capture all of this information and pass it through from a lead to an opportunity (thus creating the opportunity products) and then we can use the quote functionality to create a new quote (which is pretty straight forward other than the new fields we've added mentioned above) and then we've added some custom functionality (a new button on the quote form) that will take the information from an activated quote and actually create a new contract and populate the contract lines with the products and their associated new custom fields.  It's all pretty cool functionality and it's all working in our test environment as designed and now we are just trying to work out the logistics of moving the customizations to production.  This is where we hit the problem.

As you know, it's impossible (at least as far as I know) to edit a contract once it's active (at least not through the approved methods and direct SQL edits is certainly a bad idea and not an option we want to even consider).  We have several thousand existing contracts in the production system that need to be updated with this new functionality (and the new fields and such) and we are not sure how to accomplish this without turning on the new functionality and then having someone manually go in to each contract and expire it, edit it, and the renew it once the correct information has been captured in these new fields (which fields incidentally are going to be required as part of this new customization).  So, my question is; is there a way to edit an active contract so that these new fields could be added/populated for the existing contracts and to do so in an automated way (or at least something better than manually opening and editing each current contract by hand).  Any help or ideas is much appreciated and thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

Friday, January 25, 2008 7:25 PM

Answers

•  

Dear John,

keep this in mind, there is no supported way either using SDK for CRM in.net.

Only you can check through direct calls from CRM database and use that in .net. its called un supported way.

More check CRM 4.0 SDK have improved contract clases to do extend functionality

Regards,

Imran

Monday, January 28, 2008 4:43 PM

All replies

• Dear Acejbird,

As per documentation there is no way, but you are looking to develop some application which connect to ms crm, get contracts and update that value using .net and CRM SDK.  Thats you can try.

Best Regards,

Imran

http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com

Saturday, January 26, 2008 5:46 AM
  • Imran,

Are you saying that it is possible to accomplish an edit of an active contract by using the SDK?  If this is true then that's great news.  I was under the impression that the API the SDK uses is bound by the same restrictions that the UI presents so that if a contract is active, the SDK methods/functions used to update the contract would not work even when called with a custom .NET application. 

-John

Monday, January 28, 2008 4:32 PM
  •  

Dear John,

keep this in mind, there is no supported way either using SDK for CRM in.net.

Only you can check through direct calls from CRM database and use that in .net. its called un supported way.

More check CRM 4.0 SDK have improved contract clases to do extend functionality

Regards,

Imran

Monday, January 28, 2008 4:43 PM
  • Hi Acejbird

I was wondering if you can help me..

I am trying to implement teh functionality taht you describe above, but not being a developer and not being able to find anything on teh web, I am having trouble getting anywhere with this.

Basically what I want to be able to do is automatically create and populate contracts and contract lines with teh information from a closed order/invoice.

It would appear taht this is not as easy as I first thought that it would be and i have tried creating relationships between the two entities but this does not appear to work (or more likely I cant get it to work!)

I have also fiddled about with workflows to no avail as it would appear that you cannot create a contract and contract lines at teh same time.

As I say i am not a developer and any help you can provide to point me in teh right direction would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Allan

Thursday, June 12, 2008 1:57 PM