none
MS SQL Server, what is the difference between MCITP and MCSA? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I justgot my MCTS SQL Server 2008 for Implementing and Maintenance. This was my first cert after 11 years working with MS SQL Server and 15 years in total working as a S/W designer/developer. That was mostly due to an internal rule of my employeer connecting my targets with minimum one cert per year.

Nevertheless, I found out lot of intrestig aspects of MS SQL Server that never used before during the process of preparing for the exam (which was changed AT LAST so that people with less than 2 months of expirience cannot get away with 1000/1000)

I am getting ready for next years cert(s). My question now is what is different between MCITP and MCSA for MS SQL Server? As far as I can understand MCITP exists for MS SQL Server 2008 only and was renamed (?) to MCSA for MS SQL Server 2012. Is this right? If yes, do you think going for MCITP for MS SQL Server 2008 is worth it somehow? (e.g.: Developer or BI)

Thank you very much in advance!

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:15 AM

Answers

• MCSA/MCSE are the new certification paths released for SQL Server 2012.  Microsoft also decided to release MCSA: SQL Server 2008 which consist of exams 70-432 and 70-448.

The MCITP certification paths (MCITP Database Administrator 2008, MCITP Database Developer 2008 and MCITP Business Intelligence Developer 2008) end with SQL Server 2008 i.e. they are not being offered for SQL Server editions after 2008.

The MCITP certifications are still worth getting as not everyone will be moving to SQL Server 2012 and there will still be a big demand for people with SQL Server 2008/R2 skills for many years to come (some people are still using 2000 and 2005).  BTW, your 2008 certification(s) will not expire, even after the exams have retired.

From the brief description provided in your initial post, it appears that you may be a Database Administrator and/or Database Developer rather than a Business Intelligence Developer.  This would mean you should concentrate on either doing MCITP DBA and/or MCITP DBD.  Once you get these certifications you can take an upgrade path to MCSA: SQL Server 2012 and MCSE: Data Platform.  Full details of 2008, 2012 and upgrade paths can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/sql-certification.aspx

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:38 AM
  • Given your experience with SQL Server, I'd say 1 month would be sufficient for each of the developer exams as that's about the time I gave myself to study for them.

What experience have you had with SSAS and SSIS as those two technologies make up a large part of the BI exams (you will need at least 1-2yrs)?

The following percentages indicate the relative weight of each major topic area on the exam.  The higher the percentage, the more questions you are likely to see on that content area on the exam.

70-448: Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Business Intelligence Development and Maintenance

• Implementing an SSIS Solution (17%)
    • Configuring, Deploying, and Maintaining SSIS (15%)
    • Implementing an SSAS Solution (21%)
    • Configuring, Deploying, and Maintaining SSAS (17%)
    • Implementing an SSRS Solution (17%)
    • Configuring, Deploying, and Maintaining SSRS (13%)

70-452: PRO: Designing a Business Intelligence Infrastructure Using Microsoft SQL Server 2008

• Designing and Managing Reports (20%)
    • Designing Data Mining Models (10%)
    • Administering a BI Solution (15%)
    • Designing the BI Architecture (21%)
    • Designing and Deploying SSIS Packages (16%)
    • Designing an Analysis Services Database (18%)

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 12:41 PM

All replies

• MCSA/MCSE are the new certification paths released for SQL Server 2012.  Microsoft also decided to release MCSA: SQL Server 2008 which consist of exams 70-432 and 70-448.

The MCITP certification paths (MCITP Database Administrator 2008, MCITP Database Developer 2008 and MCITP Business Intelligence Developer 2008) end with SQL Server 2008 i.e. they are not being offered for SQL Server editions after 2008.

The MCITP certifications are still worth getting as not everyone will be moving to SQL Server 2012 and there will still be a big demand for people with SQL Server 2008/R2 skills for many years to come (some people are still using 2000 and 2005).  BTW, your 2008 certification(s) will not expire, even after the exams have retired.

From the brief description provided in your initial post, it appears that you may be a Database Administrator and/or Database Developer rather than a Business Intelligence Developer.  This would mean you should concentrate on either doing MCITP DBA and/or MCITP DBD.  Once you get these certifications you can take an upgrade path to MCSA: SQL Server 2012 and MCSE: Data Platform.  Full details of 2008, 2012 and upgrade paths can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/sql-certification.aspx

Jeff Wharton

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:38 AM
  • Thank you Jeff,

it is true I have done a lot of reporting and development and less administration.

I thought it is as you described, but I needed a more cert-wise expirienced opinion.

One more think, would you say that a month per exam is enough of preparation for the 2 exams of MCITP Dev? Same for MCITP BI?

Thank you very much!

kind regards, Thomas G. Apostolou

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 12:28 PM
  • Given your experience with SQL Server, I'd say 1 month would be sufficient for each of the developer exams as that's about the time I gave myself to study for them.

What experience have you had with SSAS and SSIS as those two technologies make up a large part of the BI exams (you will need at least 1-2yrs)?

The following percentages indicate the relative weight of each major topic area on the exam.  The higher the percentage, the more questions you are likely to see on that content area on the exam.

70-448: Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Business Intelligence Development and Maintenance

• Implementing an SSIS Solution (17%)
    • Configuring, Deploying, and Maintaining SSIS (15%)
    • Implementing an SSAS Solution (21%)
    • Configuring, Deploying, and Maintaining SSAS (17%)
    • Implementing an SSRS Solution (17%)
    • Configuring, Deploying, and Maintaining SSRS (13%)

70-452: PRO: Designing a Business Intelligence Infrastructure Using Microsoft SQL Server 2008

• Designing and Managing Reports (20%)
    • Designing Data Mining Models (10%)
    • Administering a BI Solution (15%)
    • Designing the BI Architecture (21%)
    • Designing and Deploying SSIS Packages (16%)
    • Designing an Analysis Services Database (18%)

Jeff Wharton

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 12:41 PM
  • I have less expirience with SSIS SSAS and SSRS, mostly making and using simple SSIS packages, so I guess I ould need more time.

This was very helpful, thank you very much!

kind regards, Thomas G. Apostolou

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 4:11 PM