Live One Care RRS feed

• Question

• I got my WHS up and running in under two hours and it has been running great for over a week. One suggestion I would make is better integration with Live One Care. Right now to keep WHS and LOC happy (and Green) I have to let WHS backup nightly and still run a LOC backup when it's scheduled. It would be cool if LOC could see that WHS already did a backup and would not require a second backup (or could disable its backup when WHS is detected). Also, LOC and WHS do not agree on what is "healthy". Right now LOC says all three PCs are healthy but WHS says it is not. I have also had it work the other way with LOC reporting updates needed and WHS saying the network is healthy.

I guess this was more of a Live One Care issue but since they are both targeted at the same market it would be cool if they could co-exist.

Friday, March 9, 2007 9:04 PM

All replies

• BB

This is server level software, i would assume that one care was not compatible with a desktop utility.  In the near future I imagine we will see either a Microsoft offering or some third party application.  Until then you are risking making your system unstable or possible open to attack by having competing Microsoft applications fight for control of the firewall or anitivirus etc.

Look for Windows Server apps that offer AV support and you will have better luck I would assume.  Just my opinion, but i find forcing an application to run in an ebvironment its not designed for just makes the whole thing more "quirky"

Frank
    Friday, March 9, 2007 9:28 PM
  • I think that he is referring to the client side and not the server. I also have LOC installed on my XP Home desktop but do not use it for backups. It stays green.

Friday, March 9, 2007 9:52 PM
  • I agree, disable the backups in LOC and you will have no problems.
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 4:54 AM
  • I have disabled the onecare backups, and use the WHS backup. No issues here. To that end, it would be nice if OneCare recognized WHS and left backups to it, instead of having to turn off the OneCare backup reminders, and vice versa.
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 9:13 PM
  • Microsoft should really offer the LOC integration to WHS and also license it for 10 users as well as WHS does. I don't think that those two teams are talking to eachother in terms of technology or business strategies. They are definetly out of step. I hope that they start some dialog and work together...

MicroSSG

Monday, January 28, 2008 6:30 PM
  • MicroSSG, while I agree with you in general, the WLOC team and the WHS team are separate entities, and the way Microsoft structures their product groups, every product group has a great deal of autonomy. So the WHS team can perhaps request that WLOC offer a multi-user pack, and that they offer a WHS add-in, but they can't require it.

You should let the WLOC product group know that you feel this way; they're really the people who will have to implement this.
    Monday, January 28, 2008 7:34 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    MicroSSG, while I agree with you in general, the WLOC team and the WHS team are separate entities, and the way Microsoft structures their product groups, every product group has a great deal of autonomy. So the WHS team can perhaps request that WLOC offer a multi-user pack, and that they offer a WHS add-in, but they can't require it.

You should let the WLOC product group know that you feel this way; they're really the people who will have to implement this.

I mentioned it to the WLOC development team during the beta of WLOC 2.0 and got nowhere, they acted as if WHS was a total unknown.  Maybe the WLOC team and the WHS team should be formally introduced?

Monday, January 28, 2008 9:29 PM