none
RE : forum policy

Question

• Is it allowable to post one's own website as part of a reply to OP questions ?

Just lately, someone has been doing that. In fact, one of his/her replies contains nothing but a link to the website.

Isn't it part of Spam & Advertising ?

• Edited by david hk129 Sunday, February 1, 2015 4:36 PM
    Sunday, February 1, 2015 4:36 PM

Answers

• I just flagged a question as spam that was nothing but a link. At the same time, I've been known to link scripts on my web site in response to questions. But I always provided more than the link. And generally I linked because the code was kind of long. Usually you can tell if an account is being used to steer people to another site, especially if they are selling something.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Sunday, February 1, 2015 7:40 PM
  • OK. Thank you.   I asked because most other forums which have points award system also have rule against that practice.  Your "sister" forum MS Community has banned people for that.

Correct, if it was for gaming the system or other malicious reasons banning could be expected. Some users have one account used via NNTP bridge and another for use via web forums. Other users might have a business and separate personal account.

There's a forum FAQ wiki here that may help.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/7359.forums-help-faq.aspx

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Monday, February 2, 2015 12:45 AM
  • It might be a bit of a grey area but if you believe it is then you have the option to Report as abuse

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Sunday, February 1, 2015 4:56 PM
  • I am not sure about the "grey area" part.  

If it were a one-time thing I'd probably ignore it. If repeatedly then I'd likely report it.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Sunday, February 1, 2015 6:29 PM
  • There's nothing against that generally. If you think they are gaming the system then I'd send an email with details to fissues [at] microsoft [dot] com

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Monday, February 2, 2015 12:24 AM
  • I'd use the Report as abuse flag. This will alert the forums moderators and forums admins.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Friday, February 6, 2015 2:06 AM

All replies

• It might be a bit of a grey area but if you believe it is then you have the option to Report as abuse

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Sunday, February 1, 2015 4:56 PM

If you were the forum owner and you found someone in essence saying " come to my website and I'll give you the answer there", how would you take it ?

Anyway, thank you for your reply.

I asked this question solely because I don't want members being "recruited" to other venue not belonging to Technet IT forums.

I'll drop the subject now.

Sunday, February 1, 2015 6:26 PM

If it were a one-time thing I'd probably ignore it. If repeatedly then I'd likely report it.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Sunday, February 1, 2015 6:29 PM
  • I just flagged a question as spam that was nothing but a link. At the same time, I've been known to link scripts on my web site in response to questions. But I always provided more than the link. And generally I linked because the code was kind of long. Usually you can tell if an account is being used to steer people to another site, especially if they are selling something.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Sunday, February 1, 2015 7:40 PM
  • I don't want to start a new thread, although this is completely different topic.    

Someone is using 2 profiles. Is it allowable ?   

I prefer not to disclose the name publicly. If there is a PM option, I'll tell you the name.

• Edited by david hk129 Monday, February 2, 2015 12:36 AM
    Monday, February 2, 2015 12:18 AM
  • There's nothing against that generally. If you think they are gaming the system then I'd send an email with details to fissues [at] microsoft [dot] com

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Monday, February 2, 2015 12:24 AM

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

OK. Thank you.   I asked because most other forums which have points award system also have rule against that practice.  Your "sister" forum MS Community has banned people for that.

Monday, February 2, 2015 12:40 AM
  • OK. Thank you.   I asked because most other forums which have points award system also have rule against that practice.  Your "sister" forum MS Community has banned people for that.

Correct, if it was for gaming the system or other malicious reasons banning could be expected. Some users have one account used via NNTP bridge and another for use via web forums. Other users might have a business and separate personal account.

There's a forum FAQ wiki here that may help.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/7359.forums-help-faq.aspx

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Monday, February 2, 2015 12:45 AM

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

That was on Feb 1st.

Today is Feb 5th, the same person did it 7 times.

What the links to those 7 threads ?

• Edited by david hk129 Friday, February 6, 2015 1:57 AM
    Friday, February 6, 2015 1:57 AM
  • I'd use the Report as abuse flag. This will alert the forums moderators and forums admins.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Friday, February 6, 2015 2:06 AM

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Just finished reporting all 7 incidents.

Since there is not clear cut rule on this matter, I won't bet on any action to be taken.

Thank you.

Friday, February 6, 2015 2:23 AM
  • I was wrong.    

A mod has acted on my reports.

That person's replies were removed.

My thanks to the mod.

Hopefully that person is not coming back.

Friday, February 6, 2015 2:41 AM
  • Good to hear it's sorted.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Friday, February 6, 2015 2:43 AM