Unsolved mystery - Windows login RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a windows mobile device and from there I should be able to lock or unlock my workstation. Locing is not a problem because there is a function provided in the API. How do I unlock the locked computer?

I just press unlock on my PDA and the workstation should be unlocked. It is similar to how a fingerprint scanner works ie the driver for fingerprint scanner.

There is no Api function for unlocking and my application can at max get the password string from the PDA but how do I put that into the login [ Welcome ] Screen and authenticate the user.

Regards

Anish

• Moved by Chao Kuo Friday, June 11, 2010 8:21 AM smart device issue, off-topic here (From:Visual C# General)
    Saturday, June 5, 2010 10:49 PM

All replies

• Not as easy as you might think there's no simple unlock function cause it would be way to trivial to write some backdoor that would unlock the computer whenever some message was send.

So the opton to unlock the interactive session lies deep in the user authentication functionality (which is pretty extensible so you're not totally out of luck here) previously there was GINA that deald with this but starting vista GINA is no longer supported and credential providers should be used.

msndn magazine had a pretty decent article on it, be prepared though you'll most likely end up with C++, the odds of being able to pull this off in just C# are virtually zero.

Saturday, June 5, 2010 11:21 PM
  • Thank you Sir for replying but do you think this can be done?? it is still not done and I have some other things on my mind which would make this a great thesis project for me and also an application worth the efforts put in.

Regards

Anish

Saturday, June 5, 2010 11:28 PM
  • Can it be done? Sure microsoft provides the extention points for it, they even have sample code that demonstrates an unlock scenario.  can YOU do it? Well you're the only one able to decide that, if this is your first encounter with C/C++ this might not be the most optimal project for you, I'd say read the msdn article I linked and make up your mind if this is something you'd like to persue.
    Sunday, June 6, 2010 12:41 AM
  • Hello,

For smart device development, please post it here http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/smartdevicedevelopment/.

Thanks

Chao

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 8:18 AM