WHS Restore wont find Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller Device Driver RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When I try using the WHS Restore process it says it has no network devices loaded. I have tried copying the "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" folder onto a USB device, as directed, and requested the restore to search for drivers, but it still can't find the device. Windows Vista and Windows 7 don't have any problems with the device (I am writing this post on the affected m/c as we speak!!!).

The Enetrnet device is an onboard Ethernet controller (seen as a Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller) on a Asus P5K SE Motherboad.

Any suggestions gratefully recieved!!!

Thanks, Jim
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 2:03 PM

Answers

• You were right Olaf (of course! :-) ).

If I had been more observant I would have noticed that the "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" folder contained the folder "l160x64.inf_amd64..." for the Lan Driver (indeed all the drivers provided are 64bit). I think the "64" should have given me a clue!!!

I downloaded the Vista 32/64bit driver file from the Asus site (thaks for the pointer Al) and with a bit of poking around found the 32bit drivers in a folder called "AttansicL1_lan_V2060000_vista.zip\Attansic\x86_x64\vista_32".

It seems a bit of a failing that the WHS system goes to the trouble of extracting the drivers into a special folder, but then provides the 64bit ones which are never going to work!

Thanks for your help guys!

Cheers, Jim
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 10:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you tried downloading the drivers from the following link? :
    http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?modelname=P5K SE&SLanguage=en-us

Cheers,
    Al

--
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 4:22 PM
  • Thanks Al.

However, if I select Win2003 OS it doesn't provide any drivers (at all!).

It just seems strange that the "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" folder does provide a driver for this device. The .inf file even seems to identify it correctly. It's just the Restore OS that doesn't seem to recognise the driver.

Any other thoughts, anyone?

Thanks, Jim
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 10:09 PM
  • The best choice are Vista 32 Bit drivers, since the recovery environment is based on Vista PE.
    There are two other options you can try:
    How to restore a client PC, if the network connection does not work in the CD based restore environment
    if you have a second client, to which you can attach the disk to which you want to restore;
    my posting in this thread explains, how to use a Windows 7 DVD to create a flash drive with the necessary files for a restore (and since Windows 7 has more built in drivers for newer network adapters, the chances for success may be better).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 10:52 PM
  • Thanks Olaf, there look to be some likely candidates in your " network connection cannot be established" (my guess is its the 64bit driver on a 32bit Vista PE). I'll check it out when I have time and report back.

Cheers, Jim
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 9:55 AM
  • You were right Olaf (of course! :-) ).

If I had been more observant I would have noticed that the "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" folder contained the folder "l160x64.inf_amd64..." for the Lan Driver (indeed all the drivers provided are 64bit). I think the "64" should have given me a clue!!!

I downloaded the Vista 32/64bit driver file from the Asus site (thaks for the pointer Al) and with a bit of poking around found the 32bit drivers in a folder called "AttansicL1_lan_V2060000_vista.zip\Attansic\x86_x64\vista_32".

It seems a bit of a failing that the WHS system goes to the trouble of extracting the drivers into a special folder, but then provides the 64bit ones which are never going to work!

Thanks for your help guys!

Cheers, Jim
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 10:34 AM
    Backup just extracts the drivers from the running OS into that folder. The failing is in the Restore CD not supporting 64 bit drivers. See (and vote!) this suggestion on Connect...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 3:44 PM