MICROSOFT MONEY HOME & SMALL BUSINESS RRS feed

• General discussion

• THIS IS URGENT ? I BEEN WITH MICROSOFT SINCE IT STARTED, SN MY SERVICE PROVIDER. WILL MICROSOFT "MONEY HOME & SMALL BUSINES" IMPORT QUICKEN 2016 HOME & SMALL BUSINESS 15+ TEARS OF RECORDS?

LAST BUSINESS FAILED 2.5 YEARS AGO, & NO INCOME. BEEN IN SAME TRADE SINCE 13, NOW 70, but can't get job.

QUICKEN 2016 GOING TO SHUT MY OFF, ON NOV. 30 & WILL NOT ALLOW ME BACK IN AT ALL UNLESS I UPGRADE! I THIS CAN BE DONE, WHAT IS COST TO CHANE IF POSSIBLE?

I HAVE USED OUTLOOK SINCE BEFORE OFFICE & HAF OUTLOOK 365, BUT SO MANY PROBLEMS I TO NOT PAY RENEWAL UNTIL JAN 2020, IN OWN OFFICE 10 & HAVE CODE, TECH SUPPORT SAID LAST WEEK, IF THEY DO NOT FOX ALL PROBLEMS I HAVE THEY WILL PUT ME BACK ON OFFICE 10, IN DEC. 2019

R PUPI - bosen@msn.com

Richard Pupi

• Changed type R Pupi Tuesday, April 23, 2019 5:14 PM i don't know how to close out?
    Monday, April 22, 2019 7:32 PM

Answers

• The procedure (as well as the mentioned exceptions) in this article is pretty spot on for your import procedure, even though it is about merging Money files, and yes you can bring in most of your Quicken data.  Cost is FREE!

Money is independent of Office, so don't let that confuse you, regarding Money.

• Edited by ameridan Tuesday, April 23, 2019 3:56 AM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2019 3:52 AM

All replies

• The procedure (as well as the mentioned exceptions) in this article is pretty spot on for your import procedure, even though it is about merging Money files, and yes you can bring in most of your Quicken data.  Cost is FREE!

Money is independent of Office, so don't let that confuse you, regarding Money.

• Edited by ameridan Tuesday, April 23, 2019 3:56 AM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2019 3:52 AM
  • I TRULY WANT TO THANK YOU, I HOPE I AM DOING THIS RIGHT, NEVER USED THIS BEFORE, BUY WILL IN THE FUTURE

R. PUPI

bosen@msn.com

Richard Pupi

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 4:23 PM
  • I TRULY WANT TO THANK YOU, I HOPE I AM DOING THIS RIGHT, NEVER USED THIS BEFORE, BUY WILL IN THE FUTURE

When you import your Quicken accounts into Money, Money needs two QIF files for each investment account where you track cash transactions: The investment account, and the associated cash account.

Quicken can export more than one account to a QIF file. However Money cannot use the QIF files that contain more than one account.

The reason for having you to import all accounts at once is to let Money recognize transfers.

As you process investment accounts, Money will ask for each security if it is a stock, mutual fund, or what. This will be tedious if you have owned a lot of different securities.

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 8:09 PM
  • However Money cannot use the QIF files that contain more than one account.

Cal, are sure about this?  According to this article, you can import a QIF file that contains all of your accounts.  You are the expert though, so if experience tells you that it doesn't work that way, I'll defer to you.
    Tuesday, April 23, 2019 10:33 PM
  • You export a bunch of single-account files. You import them all at once with Ctrl+<click> or Shift+<click> selection.

When you choose a filename for an investment account, I suggest that you
     make the first character of the filename to be a number.
     Start the filename of other accouts with a letter.   Thus you might have
     1BrownInvestment.qif and BrownInvestmentCash.qif.  This would cause
     the investment account to be processed prior to the associated cash
     account.  When the BrownInvestment got created, you would specify
     that you want to track the cash transactions.  Then specify that
     the cash transactions account for BrownInvestment was where the
     BrownInvestmentCash.qif transactions get sent.

Once you have all of the QIF files saved, that will be an milestone. Review the filenames to make sure they are meaningful. When you import the files all at once, they will be brought in in alphanumeric (number first) order.

Copy the QIF files to the new computer.
     Then File->Import ALL AT ONCE using Ctrl+<click> to select files.
     Specify "New or Recovered" account when asked. The reason for the all-at-once
     thing is to allow Money to recognize transfers, and to allow investment transactions
    to match up to the cash account entry.

There are things that will not come across, but you will have a clean file.
     You may have to adjust balance. Stock symbols will not come across.

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 1:38 AM
  •   I hadn't gotten enough sleep last night.  Thanks for clearing that up for me!  ;)
    Wednesday, April 24, 2019 3:36 AM