none
MCSA RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone

I wanted to do my MCSA so i did 270 and 290 but did not complete the rest now i want to complete it what should i do, complete 291 and take the elective or do the new syllabus or what are my available options, pls help any guidance would be greatly appreciated

Tks

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 8:17 AM

Answers

• Hi,

yes, from my understanding of http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcsa.aspx#tab2 you should do the 291 and an elective exam. But you should be carefull and check the expire dates. Some of the exams are already expired and others will expire soon.

So maybe you want to think about skipping MCSA and directly start with modern MCTS / MCTIP exams instead.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 8:46 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

There would be 4 options open really depending on if you want to finish the MCSA or move on to MCITP and get your skills up to date straight away, excluding a move to specialize in another area.

Take 70-291 and an elective to get your MCSA (2 exams)

Take 70-640, 70-642 and 70-646 for MCITP: Windows server 2008 Server Administrator (3 Exams)

Complete your MCSA as above and then take 2 upgrade exams 70-648 and 70-646 for MCITP: Windows server 2008 Server Administrator (4 Exams)

Complete your MCSA as above and then take 3 upgrade exams 70-648 70-643 70-647 for MCITP: Windows server 2008 Enterprise administrator (5 Exams)

Take 4 required exams and one elective for MCITP: Windows server 2008 Enterprise administrator (5 Exams)

I have just completed my MCSA on my way to MCITP in a similar situation as I had done 3 out of the 4 exams required it was just as many to upgrade as take the MCSA and upgrade which I wanted to have on record to show I can use Server 2003 although outdated still widely in use by most companies I have ever worked for.

Plus it was 4 exams against 5 if I want to go straight for Windows Server 2008 Enterprise administrator.

Hope this helps and good luck in whatever path you take,

Regards

Kevin

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 5:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

yes, from my understanding of http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcsa.aspx#tab2 you should do the 291 and an elective exam. But you should be carefull and check the expire dates. Some of the exams are already expired and others will expire soon.

So maybe you want to think about skipping MCSA and directly start with modern MCTS / MCTIP exams instead.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 8:46 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

There would be 4 options open really depending on if you want to finish the MCSA or move on to MCITP and get your skills up to date straight away, excluding a move to specialize in another area.

Take 70-291 and an elective to get your MCSA (2 exams)

Take 70-640, 70-642 and 70-646 for MCITP: Windows server 2008 Server Administrator (3 Exams)

Complete your MCSA as above and then take 2 upgrade exams 70-648 and 70-646 for MCITP: Windows server 2008 Server Administrator (4 Exams)

Complete your MCSA as above and then take 3 upgrade exams 70-648 70-643 70-647 for MCITP: Windows server 2008 Enterprise administrator (5 Exams)

Take 4 required exams and one elective for MCITP: Windows server 2008 Enterprise administrator (5 Exams)

I have just completed my MCSA on my way to MCITP in a similar situation as I had done 3 out of the 4 exams required it was just as many to upgrade as take the MCSA and upgrade which I wanted to have on record to show I can use Server 2003 although outdated still widely in use by most companies I have ever worked for.

Plus it was 4 exams against 5 if I want to go straight for Windows Server 2008 Enterprise administrator.

Hope this helps and good luck in whatever path you take,

Regards

Kevin

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 5:13 PM