Using an image to install laptop and then changing key RRS feed

• Question

• Dear forum readers and supervisors,

I have a legal question instead of a technical one, so I hope this is the right forum.

At the company I work we use Acer laptops with Windows 7 professional licenses which are supplied with our medical diagnostics products. These laptops have been pre-installed with loads of unnecessary software, which now takes us about 1,5 - 2 hours to un-install. I suggested creating a HDD-image of one of the laptops and then spooling this onto the rest and change the product keys to the one supplied with the laptops. But people told me this was illegal, but had no good explenation why or how. We are based in The Netherlands by the way (maybe it makes a difference)

Is this illegal? I hope you guys can tell me.

Kind regards,

Mathijs Fortuin

Monday, June 3, 2013 4:07 PM

Answers

• Providing the COA sticker is for the same version and edition of Windows in use on the machine, there shouldn't be a problem.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 9:01 AM

All replies

• Providing the COA sticker is for the same version and edition of Windows in use on the machine, there shouldn't be a problem.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 9:01 AM
  • Thank you for the information.

But what if it has the Windows 7 Home Premium edition? Off course using an image made with another Windows 7 Home Premium laptop. I just found out that one device uses laptops with Professional and the other device uses laptops with Home Premium.

I'm asking because the Professional version has a "Change product key" button in My Computer's properties window and Home Premium doesn't. I can change is with the slmgr.vbk command right?

Kind regards,

Mathijs

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 9:24 AM
  • In that case you have a problem.

You would be better to have two images - one for Home Premium and one for Pro

Your other option would be to purchase Full licenses for Pro for the Home Premium machines, and apply those Keys to a Pro image.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 12:42 PM