xp home validation RRS feed

• Question

• hi,i will start from purchase of pc,
    some years ago i purchased a compac presario pc from awell know pc store (pcworld) took out extra insurance to cover me for five years, 2 years in i had to make a claim with pc fault,the company put me in contact with repairers,whho came out took my pc away for repair,returned 2 weeks later telling me that it was unrepairable and there brought a new one out,but not compac,the pc was a manilla,pc worked fine for another 2 years,then i had to replace hard drive,found then that i had no disc to reformat,contacted the repairers who said i had to pay for an xp disc which i was,nt happy about,now i no the disc is supposed to be tied up with the motherboard,but how after two years gap would this be possible ?
    the price i paid for this was£85.00,i have since dismantled this pc and have tried installing on my dell lap top,when i go to activate it tells me that its already been used,although in fact its not now,when contacting microsoft by phone with great exspence and been told that the disc i got is in fact a oem copy,i checked on line and the disc is a genuiene copy,please can any one advise what i can do
    thanks graham

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 6:48 PM

Answers

• graham1959,

The repairers, are they a reputable OEM like Dell, Lenovo, Gateway, Toshiba, HP Compaq? Those names are bonified OEM's.

Please complete what I asked for above, I'll repost the instructions below:

By clicking the link below, you will download the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool (MGADT).  Then click the Run button. Then click the Run button again. Then click the Continue button to perform the diagnostic. The Windows tab should show, click the Copy button to paste your report to the clipboard.  Then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum by adding a post in it and pressing Ctrl V (to paste the text). Clicking the OK button will clear the Diagnostic window. Here is the download link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

NOTE: The data collected with the MGADT does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you. The information can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you for your participation here on the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forums. We look forward to working with you.

Rick

• Edited by RickImAPC Thursday, January 8, 2009 4:32 PM Added HP to OEM List.
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, January 13, 2009 12:52 AM
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 4:31 PM

All replies

• graham1959,

Thank you for visiting the Windows XP Genuine Advantage forum. I cannot address the issues you've had with your machines or your purchase of the Windows XP media. You would need to continue working with the people you made the purchase with.

What I can do is take a look at any Validation issues you may be having. And perhaps we can go from there. The machine your software is on, is it like a Dell or Lenovo with the OS preinstalled- an OEM machine? Or is it built by someone?

By clicking the link below, you will download the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool (MGADT).  Then click the Run button. Then click the Run button again. Then click the Continue button to perform the diagnostic. The Windows tab should show, click the Copy button to paste your report to the clipboard.  Then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum by adding a post in it and pressing Ctrl V (to paste the text). Clicking the OK button will clear the Diagnostic window. Here is the download link:

NOTE: The data collected with the MGADT does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you. The information can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you for your participation here on the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forums. We look forward to working with you.

Rick

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 11:42 PM
  • hi rick,as i said previously the machine was built by the repairers and came with xp already installed ,was,nt till 2 years later i had the hard drive prob,then contacted repairers,thens when my only answer was to buy then disc that they sent me otherwise woulda been box of rubbish which it ended up,from what i understand now is the disc should have been tied to the motherboard,but how can it be when the disc was  purchased two years later s a separate item from repairer,finding it hard to believe that this is so,and this company was an  approved microsoft installer,it just seems from word go i have been conned by all
    thanks graham 
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 12:26 AM
  • graham1959,

The repairers, are they a reputable OEM like Dell, Lenovo, Gateway, Toshiba, HP Compaq? Those names are bonified OEM's.

Please complete what I asked for above, I'll repost the instructions below:

Rick

• Edited by RickImAPC Thursday, January 8, 2009 4:32 PM Added HP to OEM List.
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, January 13, 2009 12:52 AM
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 4:31 PM
  • If you need replacement media, contact Microsoft at 1-800-360-7561

If you have fully removed Windows from your PC, you may tranfer the license unless it is an OEM version, like you have.

If you have a retail version that you wish to tranfer, activate by telephone.
    • Proposed as answer by motherboardlove Friday, January 9, 2009 9:11 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, January 13, 2009 12:53 AM
    Friday, January 9, 2009 9:10 PM