OneCare 2.0 Beta Expired RRS feed

• Question

• I installed the 2.0 beta.  My understanding was that the beta 2.0 did not need activation.  However it has now expired and gone red.  I don't have an activation key.  What do I do?
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 9:19 AM

Answers

All replies

• Did you skip the process that starts when installing the program at first? I think it was called some kind of activation - I don't remember since it was some time ago - but I don't have a subscription either and you should be able to "activate" it through that process too.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 12:34 PM
  • Check your PC date and time. The beta should not be expiring so soon. If the date and time on your PC are correct, contact support - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2

-steve

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 4:36 PM
  • my onecare 2.0 beta is also saying its expired....however, its right to some degree.

see, i trialled onecare 1.5 on my 2 home computers. however, right toward the end, i went to a new 64bit pc, and since when onecare was release there was no x64 support, i didnt buy the product. (i dont *need* it since i have a license of another AV product - due to my workplace)

however, the new beta has the 'circle' and x64 support.

so i installed the beta on my x64pc and it's fine. but i cannot test the circle function as my old second pc's onecare beta picked up the fact that it was previously installed, and now says the trial period has expired.

by design, the program seems to be working properly, but it looks as if i personally cannot test it 100% unless i can somehow remove the previous files/data stored somewhere on my pc that tells onecare it was previously installed.

i understand the implications of being able to do this on the full product....so i'm not suprised this isnt documented. but if there was a workaround, i'd be glad to hear of it.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 1:46 PM
  • If you activated the OneCare 2.0 beta with the LiveID that you used for the 1.5 beta, yes, it will have expired. Uninstall the current expired beta and reinstall without activating, if that is the case. If you didn't activate, it should not be showing as expired and you should contact support - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2

-steve

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 5:23 PM
  • well, i dont recall activating it ever, since it was a beta test before, and it was on trial. i never bought it due to the reasons above, so i never activated it.

however, since my reasons look to have been address, i'm now trying it again with the features.

now, i've done what you said, removed the beta and re-installed, and it goes red right away saying it needs activating. when i try and do this it says i need a subscription.

on my vista x64 machine, for which i've used the same ID, and it's not yet activated either it says i have some 211 days trial remaining. this is the status i'm trying to achieve on the machine previously tested.

do you still advise me to contact support? should i activate the vista x64 trial? will that then make the other one work again? will that mean i have to buy it now (even tho it's beta)?

cheers

Rich

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 6:30 PM
  • At this point, contacting support may be a good idea still. I'll see what I can find out about this, too. No, don't activate the beta on your Vista machine.

-steve

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 6:58 PM
  • the thing is, this *IS* the expected behaviour. because if this wasnt a beta, then i'd effectively be trying to get another trial for free. so in some respects, it's a successful beta test of this function.

i'm just trying to overcome it in order to beta test the next version. so it may be that if what i'm doing is a supported form of beta testing, then a workaround may need to built into the beta, but not in the final build?

....unless MS wants to grant me a genuine short term subscription for the beta cycle duration? i.e let me activate it while it's beta. or something...

i'll call support tomorrow and post again if there is any movement. 

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 8:57 PM
  • Please do contact support - http://help.live.com/Help.aspx?project=onecarev2

Use the Get More help link in the lower right

Beta support is email only.

I still think you should be able to install the beta on this machine that perviously had the 1.5 beta on it and it should not be showing expired.

-steve

Thursday, July 26, 2007 1:56 AM
  •  Rich_R wrote:

i'll call support tomorrow and post again if there is any movement. 

Hi Rich,

did you get this issue resolved? I have exactly the same problem on XP it immediately goes red after installation and says it has expired.

No, I did not activate.

Yes, I did check my time

Yes, I also participated in the 1.5 beta

Yes, I have also contacted tech support and did a couple of de-installs with the onecarecleanup tool

Also it does work when I use the 2.0 beta on the same PC when I boot with vista.

I hope you have an answer otherwise I see no other solution as removing OC from my system

Indy

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 9:01 PM
  •  

kind of, yes.

you can't get around it yourself (in thoery, i'm sure there is a number of reg keys that can be deleted until it's gone - but i dont have hours to spend on that) as it's doing its job, what MS did was put me on the 'activation beta team' and they send you an activation code email which is valid for as long as they decide the beta will go on for.

you have to create a new live ID and activate the subscription on that, then remove and reinstall onecare with the new ID.

then on the pc where it wont activate, just activate that one with the new ID and it'll all go green.

they then ask you to fill in a feedback form, which i did, as this activation beta is very helpful and i now have onecare running well, and the circle function is working well too.

the activation process is very simple, you can add and remove pcs from the ID at any time.

so i suggest you contact support and explain that you need to go onto the activation beta test in order test it properly.

to be honest, the only thing i can say is wrong with onecare right now is that they choose not to support XP x64 for no good reason other than to convince people to buy vista.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 9:30 AM
  •  

Thanks Rich for your reply,

I will point the support engineer who is on my case to your answer.

Why did you have to get a new live ID? Why couldn't you use the activation code on your normal live ID?

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 11:20 AM
  • you can use your own live ID, but the beta activation can be pulled from you at any time, and i guess you can only have one subscription per ID. so it's just much better to create the live ID just for this, ensureing you dont get into a mess later on.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 11:59 AM