"Windows Media Server" vs. WHS Media Server, et al. RRS feed

• Question

• Premable: I know what I'm asking about is unsupported and probably violates the EULA.

That out of the way, I was troubleshooting why my WHS media server works intermittently--sometimes clients just can't see it--and noticed, after rebooting the WHS box, that it came up using the alternate IP for the server. (I have an alternate IP that IIS uses to serve up a test website--I don't want aything else to use it.) I don't know if this is a source of my problems but surely if it is picking different IP addresses from time to time that can't be helping.

So I went off looking into how to adminster the media server. There things got confusing. There are lots of references to using the Media Server snap-in to do this. No such snap-in on WHS. More searching. WHS Add or Remove Programs / Windows Components / Windows Media Services shows no components installed.

q1) So WHS Media Server is not Windows Media Services?

q2) What's the difference?

q3) What happens if I install the Windows Media Services stuff on WHS?

q4) Would installing it enable me to configure what IP address the WHS Media Server uses?

q5) If not, is there another way to configure what IP address the WHS Media Server uses--or, more to the point, doesn't use?
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 5:02 PM

Answers

• Premable: I know what I'm asking about is unsupported and probably violates the EULA.

That out of the way, I was troubleshooting why my WHS media server works intermittently--sometimes clients just can't see it--and noticed, after rebooting the WHS box, that it came up using the alternate IP for the server.

Multihoming is unsupported on WHS.

(I have an alternate IP that IIS uses to serve up a test website--I don't want aything else to use it.) I don't know if this is a source of my problems but surely if it is picking different IP addresses from time to time that can't be helping.

So I went off looking into how to adminster the media server. There things got confusing. There are lots of references to using the Media Server snap-in to do this. No such snap-in on WHS. More searching. WHS Add or Remove Programs / Windows Components / Windows Media Services shows no components installed.

q1) So WHS Media Server is not Windows Media Services?

No.  WHS streams media using the Windows Media Connect Service.

q2) What's the difference?

q3) What happens if I install the Windows Media Services stuff on WHS?

I don't know, but as you said, it's unsupported.  My advice is to not do it (at least not on your production server).  You could always try it in a VM.

q4) Would installing it enable me to configure what IP address the WHS Media Server uses?

I seriously doubt it, but again, try it in a VM and see what happens.

q5) If not, is there another way to configure what IP address the WHS Media Server uses--or, more to the point, doesn't use?
    No.
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 9:12 PM