Home Server RC Available on Connect Site RRS feed

• General discussion

• I just logged on the Connect site and the RC is now available. The date is 2/2/2011.
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 6:17 PM

All replies

• woot

Anyone know the difference in the OEM build and the standard one?

Im guessing not many have OEM VAIL hardware, or am i missunderstanding OEM ?

Thursday, February 3, 2011 6:23 PM
  • Link to release notes isn't working...
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 6:45 PM
  • Try the link again.  I logged back on the when I click the link it took me to the Release Notes page. 

Also download the Getting Started document.

Thursday, February 3, 2011 6:50 PM
  • Thursday, February 3, 2011 6:55 PM
  • I wish it described more what happens when you put in a new disk.  It
    says it will format it NTFS, but will it use it for normal PC backups
    like it did in WHS1?

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 7:03 PM
  • Thanks. Log out and back in did the trick.
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 7:24 PM
  • Do I really need a dual layer DVD for the installation disk?

"This download provides the following content:

• Server Setup DVD ISO file (DVD9 – Dual layer DVD)
    • Client Restore Media"

Thursday, February 3, 2011 7:47 PM
  • The disk is only 4Gig in size so you should not need a dual layer disk.

I havent tested since im installing in HyperV

Thursday, February 3, 2011 7:54 PM
  • Yes, you do need a dual layer DVD to burn the ISO.
    http://www.tomontech.com
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 8:04 PM
    like it did in WHS1?

Bob,

When you put in a new disk, the drive will be formatted as NTFS and will appear as just another drive. There is no pooling, or any of the functionality that Drive Extender provided. If you are not using RAID, your shared folders are limited to the size of the drive they are on. For example, you have a D drive that is 500GB on it has Recorded TV, and you have a new E drive that is 2TB. If you don't use the new Move Data wizard to move that share from D to E, your Recorded TV folder can only be at most 500GB.

From my understanding the same applies to Client PC Backups. Backup still works as it did in v1 with improvements to backup itself. As for how those backups get stored, they are stored in a Shared Folder that can be moved from a smaller drive to a larger drive, if need be.

One caveat to the new storage picture is that it is being recommended that the maximum size of any shared folder be 2TB. Reason for this, is that the new Server Backup engine is using the native Server 2008 R2 engine and there is a 2TB limit for backups. You can have multiple 2TB shares, but any single share can be no larger than 2TB if you want it to be backed up with server backup. If you aren't planning on using Server Backup, your shares can be as big or small as you want them to be.
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 8:04 PM
  • Tom

Thanks - are there any alternatives as I only have single layer DVD drives. Can I use a Blu-ray disk? Or a USB stick?

Phil

Thursday, February 3, 2011 8:12 PM
  • Phil,

I haven't tried this yet with the RC (still d/l'ing) but it worked with the other versions of Vail.  I use the Microsoft Windows 7  ISO to USB tool (http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool) to create a bootable USB stick (needs to be bigger than 4.5 GB in this case).  I then boot from the USB stick and run the installation.  There is a mention in the RC Release Notes that there is a problem with some USB booting but it looks like you can make it work with most modern motherboards that support Boot selection.  Hope this helps.

Bill

Thursday, February 3, 2011 8:20 PM
  • When you put in a new disk, the drive will be formatted as NTFS and will appear as just another drive. There is no pooling, or any of the functionality that Drive Extender provided. If you are not using RAID, your shared folders are limited to the size of the drive they are on. For example, you have a D drive that is 500GB on it has Recorded TV, and you have a new E drive that is 2TB. If you don't use the new Move Data wizard to move that share from D to E, your Recorded TV folder can only be at most 500GB.
    Tom:

Just to be sure I understand: there is neither Drive Extender nor duplication, but Vail will be more RAID-friendly (e.g RAID 1 or 5) than V1?

And are these storage disks ordinary NTFS disks that I could take out and load on any Windows machine?

Also, when you move data from one disk to another, can you not move sub-folders? Like Recorded TV 1 on D and Recorded TV 2 on F, and move subfolders between these two?

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 8:26 PM
  • >From my understanding the same applies to Client PC Backups. Backup still works as it did in v1 with improvements to backup itself. As for how those backups get stored, they are stored in a Shared Folder that can be moved from a smaller drive to a larger drive, if need be.

So PC backups can no longer span drives on the sever???  (so you can
    only backup as much as your largest drive can hold)

I'm far more concerned with client backups than shared folders.  It
    annoys me there's no automatic duplication of shared folders, but it's
    not a deal breaker, but not being able to use all my drives for client
    backups is a problem.

Seeing as how the biggest drive you can get right now is 2TB, and I
    have 2 PC's with more than that available...  (about 7TB total)

I'm not really concerned about the server backup itself, I use data
    redundancy for that.

Thursday, February 3, 2011 8:45 PM
    like it did in WHS1?

Bob,

When you put in a new disk, the drive will be formatted as NTFS and will appear as just another drive. There is no pooling, or any of the functionality that Drive Extender provided. If you are not using RAID, your shared folders are limited to the size of the drive they are on. For example, you have a D drive that is 500GB on it has Recorded TV, and you have a new E drive that is 2TB. If you don't use the new Move Data wizard to move that share from D to E, your Recorded TV folder can only be at most 500GB.

From my understanding the same applies to Client PC Backups. Backup still works as it did in v1 with improvements to backup itself. As for how those backups get stored, they are stored in a Shared Folder that can be moved from a smaller drive to a larger drive, if need be.

One caveat to the new storage picture is that it is being recommended that the maximum size of any shared folder be 2TB. Reason for this, is that the new Server Backup engine is using the native Server 2008 R2 engine and there is a 2TB limit for backups. You can have multiple 2TB shares, but any single share can be no larger than 2TB if you want it to be backed up with server backup. If you aren't planning on using Server Backup, your shares can be as big or small as you want them to be.
    If you have to specify a drive for you backups, how do you backup a client with multiple drives?  For example, I have a client PC with 3 hard drives totaling 4TB.  Let's say it's full.  If each server share is limited to 2TB, are you saying that I could no longer backup this client?  Also, on another note, I assume that single instance storage will still be in place, correct?
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 9:10 PM
  • I'm seeing very slow download speeds - 270KB/sec. It started out at 1.5 MB/sec.
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 9:31 PM
  • Same... the rest of you guys should stop downloading! ;-)

Or MS could join the 21st century and use bit torrent...

Thursday, February 3, 2011 9:37 PM
  • I'm seeing very slow download speeds - 270KB/sec. It started out at 1.5 MB/sec.
    It's now down to 120 KB/sec - less than 10% of when I started...
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 9:52 PM
  • You can just extract the contents of the ISO (using something like 7-Zip) into the root of a USB stick with enough space. Then just make sure your BIOS will boot from the stick. Just worked for me on an HP MicroServer :-)
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 9:57 PM
  • You can just extract the contents of the ISO (using something like 7-Zip) into the root of a USB stick with enough space. Then just make sure your BIOS will boot from the stick. Just worked for me on an HP MicroServer :-)

Did you need to add a cfg.ini file to bypass the system minimum req for the HP Microserver?
    • Edited by Phil195 Thursday, February 3, 2011 10:18 PM
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 10:05 PM
  • Dis you need to add a cfg.ini file to bypass the system minimum req for the HP Microserver?

I just realised that it's Aurora that I'm installing. I didn't add any special settings -- just unzip the ISO and go. I would have thought that what goes for Aurora would go for Vail, but can't confirm. Sorry :-/

>> Update: Installed Vail RC and also no cfg.ini required for HP ProLiant MicroServer. The (pre-RC) System Requirements still state a 1.4GHz minimum CPU requirement, but there was nothing flagged up despite the MicroServer's 1.3GHz Dual Core AMD Neo CPU...

Thursday, February 3, 2011 10:08 PM
  • 4 hours and it's at 55%..... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

--
    Dave N.
    MS-MVP (Mail)
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64
    "Phil195" wrote in message
    news:477eea4e-a0b1-4bc5-a36b-88afdfbe5163@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I'm seeing very slow download speeds - 270KB/sec. It started out at 1.5
    MB/sec.It's now down to 120 KB/sec - less than 10% of when I started...

Windows 7 32bit beta
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 11:45 PM
  • When you put in a new disk, the drive will be formatted as NTFS and will appear as just another drive. There is no pooling, or any of the functionality that Drive Extender provided. If you are not using RAID, your shared folders are limited to the size of the drive they are on. For example, you have a D drive that is 500GB on it has Recorded TV, and you have a new E drive that is 2TB. If you don't use the new Move Data wizard to move that share from D to E, your Recorded TV folder can only be at most 500GB.
    Tom:

Just to be sure I understand: there is neither Drive Extender nor duplication, but Vail will be more RAID-friendly (e.g RAID 1 or 5) than V1?

And are these storage disks ordinary NTFS disks that I could take out and load on any Windows machine?

Also, when you move data from one disk to another, can you not move sub-folders? Like Recorded TV 1 on D and Recorded TV 2 on F, and move subfolders between these two?

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Dave,

Yes, Windows Home Server 2011 is meant to be more RAID friendly than v1.

Yes, the drives are just regular NTFS formatted drives that can be removed and placed into another computer. WHS2011 on its own doesn't do anything funky to the drives.

I haven't played with the Move Data wizard too much yet, as I'm still trying to get my test environment in place. I'll be able to better answer that question after I've played with it.

Friday, February 4, 2011 12:44 AM
  • Anyone know the difference in the OEM build and the standard one?

Im guessing not many have OEM VAIL hardware, or am i missunderstanding OEM ?

Looks like the OEM build has been pulled.  Only have: en-us_WHS_PREM_InstallDVD.iso now.   It's a slightly smaller file size.  Wonder what the difference was.
    Friday, February 4, 2011 2:30 AM
  • Looks like the OEM build has been pulled.  Only have: en-us_WHS_PREM_InstallDVD.iso now.   It's a slightly smaller file size. Wonder what the difference was.
    ======

OEM was the only one listed when I downloaded.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret
    Please Don't Text and Drive
    My Grand Kids May be in Your Path

Nancy Ward
    Friday, February 4, 2011 5:11 AM
  • "Phil195" wrote in message news:559878df-6463-4a66-aaf2-e84847455452@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

You can just extract the contents of the ISO (using something like 7-Zip) into the root of a USB stick with enough space. Then just make sure your BIOS will boot from the stick. Just worked for me on an HP MicroServer :-)

Did you need to add a cfg.ini file to bypass the system minimum req for the HP Microserver?
    ======

Actually, Phil, I don't think 7-Zip will work with an ISO file. You'll need something like burncdcc from Terrabyte Unlimited <http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads-free-software.htm> and I don't know if it will burn onto a flash/jump/thumb USB drive, but I'm gonna be caught trying. I really don't wanna go out into the snow tomorrow to get doublesided DVDs. :(

I'll report back if I'm successful.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

Nancy Ward
    Friday, February 4, 2011 5:35 AM
  • It's now down to 120 KB/sec - less than 10% of when I started...
    ======
    I started the download, reset my power settings to never go to sleep and went to watch TV for a couple of hours.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

Nancy Ward
    Friday, February 4, 2011 5:36 AM
  • Actually, Phil, I don't think 7-Zip will work with an ISO file. You'll need something like burncdcc from Terrabyte Unlimited <http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads-free-software.htm> and I don't know if it will burn onto a flash/jump/thumb USB drive, but I'm gonna be caught trying.

7-Zip is happy to open ISOs, and you don't need to 'burn' the ISO to the USB stick, just extract the files from it. Just like opening any old Zip file and then copying the contents out to the stick.

Friday, February 4, 2011 7:19 AM
  • 7-Zip is happy to open ISOs, and you don't need to 'burn' the ISO to the USB stick, just extract the files from it. Just like opening any old Zip file and then copying the contents out to the stick.
    =============
    Have you installed the 7-Zip extractions?

BTW, since I got the OEM download of Vail RC, I used burncdcc to burn it to a single sided DVD. The one up for download now says it requires a double sided DVD. Now to try installing tomorrow.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

Nancy Ward
    Friday, February 4, 2011 9:09 AM
  • Have you installed the 7-Zip extractions?

Yes. I've installed Win7, Vail & Aurora using this method. Worked a treat yesterday after downloading the latest RCs :-)

No need to burn a DVD; no need to use the Win7 USB DVD Download Tool.

Friday, February 4, 2011 3:14 PM