One last hardware question before my build RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am preparing to build my first WHS.  After originally planning to use an old P4 MB and purchasing a SATA card for a 1TB drive I realized that at newegg I could get a combo Biostar MB and AMD AM2 4850 processor for $100.  Figured for a few extra dollars over the SATA card I would have a new MB and processor with built in 6 channel SATA, built in video, etc etc.etc..

My original intention was to use an old Micro ATX case I had laying around that had a CD and a CDRW with it already.  I was going to hook up an old IDE DVD-ROM drive for the install then when done hook the CD and CDRW back up (The color of the DVD-ROM doesn't match the case).  So far so good.  It just dawned on me that I also had planned on using a 160 MB IDE Hard drive for the system portion and a new WD SATA 1TB drive for the data with the intention of in several months adding an aditional 1TB drive to the system.  Still good so far.......I just relaized that the new MB I ordered only has 1 IDE connector that supports 2 devices.  This means that if I use the IDE HD I wont be able to use the CD or the CDRW (shouldn't hook up a CD and HD on the same IDE port).  I realize there isnt much need for the CD on the server but its just one of those I guess old time computer guy things about having access to a CD drive.

I guess my real question is....I for some reason feel that the Primary pertition/OS should be on a seperate drive.  Is this a big deal or should I leave out the IDE Hard drive all together and just dump everything on the new SATA drive??

I realize that there isn't a best practice for this.  I'm just looking for opinions or flaws with my logic.
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 3:46 AM

Answers

• Hi All,

I am preparing to build my first WHS.  After originally planning to use an old P4 MB and purchasing a SATA card for a 1TB drive I realized that at newegg I could get a combo Biostar MB and AMD AM2 4850 processor for $100.  Figured for a few extra dollars over the SATA card I would have a new MB and processor with built in 6 channel SATA, built in video, etc etc.etc..

My original intention was to use an old Micro ATX case I had laying around that had a CD and a CDRW with it already.  I was going to hook up an old IDE DVD-ROM drive for the install then when done hook the CD and CDRW back up (The color of the DVD-ROM doesn't match the case).  So far so good.  It just dawned on me that I also had planned on using a 160 MB IDE Hard drive for the system portion and a new WD SATA 1TB drive for the data with the intention of in several months adding an aditional 1TB drive to the system.  Still good so far.......I just relaized that the new MB I ordered only has 1 IDE connector that supports 2 devices.  This means that if I use the IDE HD I wont be able to use the CD or the CDRW (shouldn't hook up a CD and HD on the same IDE port).

It doesn't matter.  It works fine with both of them on the same ribbon cable.  Besides, once you install, you're really not using the CD/DVD drive for much of anything anyway.

I realize there isnt much need for the CD on the server but its just one of those I guess old time computer guy things about having access to a CD drive.

I guess my real question is....I for some reason feel that the Primary pertition/OS should be on a seperate drive.  Is this a big deal or should I leave out the IDE Hard drive all together and just dump everything on the new SATA drive??

It doesn't matter.  You can't have the OS on a separate drive.  WHS automatically creates 2 partitions on the primary drive (20 GB for the OS and the rest for data).  The DATA partition only gets used when there is no room on any other drive in the storage pool.

I realize that there isn't a best practice for this.  I'm just looking for opinions or flaws with my logic.

Thursday, April 9, 2009 4:09 AM
  • IDE (ATA/133) is still more than sufficient for most mechanical drives. You should have no problem mixing them with a CD. Performance will be affected with two devices on the IDE channel, but it's not a huge hit. I would not be worried about it.

I would when mixing IDE and SATA drives, make sure the system drive is the first port for reinstallion option. That is usually the IDE one, but with all the newer motherboards supporting SATA natively, I'm not sure that is still the case.
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 7:59 AM

All replies

• Hi All,

My original intention was to use an old Micro ATX case I had laying around that had a CD and a CDRW with it already.  I was going to hook up an old IDE DVD-ROM drive for the install then when done hook the CD and CDRW back up (The color of the DVD-ROM doesn't match the case).  So far so good.  It just dawned on me that I also had planned on using a 160 MB IDE Hard drive for the system portion and a new WD SATA 1TB drive for the data with the intention of in several months adding an aditional 1TB drive to the system.  Still good so far.......I just relaized that the new MB I ordered only has 1 IDE connector that supports 2 devices.  This means that if I use the IDE HD I wont be able to use the CD or the CDRW (shouldn't hook up a CD and HD on the same IDE port).

It doesn't matter.  It works fine with both of them on the same ribbon cable.  Besides, once you install, you're really not using the CD/DVD drive for much of anything anyway.

I realize there isnt much need for the CD on the server but its just one of those I guess old time computer guy things about having access to a CD drive.

It doesn't matter.  You can't have the OS on a separate drive.  WHS automatically creates 2 partitions on the primary drive (20 GB for the OS and the rest for data).  The DATA partition only gets used when there is no room on any other drive in the storage pool.

Thursday, April 9, 2009 4:09 AM
  • kariya21,

I was always under the impression that if you installed a CD and HD on the same IDE channel or port the performance of the HD would be drastically reduced to match the performance of the CD.  Is this something that has changed in recent years??

I do realize that WHS will create 2 partitions on the "smaller" drive (In my case).  I also realize that it wont use the remaining space on the second partition of the "system" drive until all of the other drives are full.  I am just curious if it is better for "disaster recovery" for the system drive to be on the smaller "seperate" drive assuming I havent filled up the other 1TB "data drive"??
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 4:30 AM
  • IDE (ATA/133) is still more than sufficient for most mechanical drives. You should have no problem mixing them with a CD. Performance will be affected with two devices on the IDE channel, but it's not a huge hit. I would not be worried about it.

I would when mixing IDE and SATA drives, make sure the system drive is the first port for reinstallion option. That is usually the IDE one, but with all the newer motherboards supporting SATA natively, I'm not sure that is still the case.
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 7:59 AM