Worker Role and Microsoft.Synchronization.SimpleProviders RRS feed

Answers

• Yes, Sync framework can work in Windows Azure worker role or web role. However, some work needs to be done to make it work. The major problem to solve is that you can not register COM components in Windows Azure but Sync Framework is built on top of COM. (The Microsoft.Synchronization.SimpleProviders is a managed code sync framework dll which also depends on base sync COM components) However, there is a way to make it work using manifest.

We will post a sample to show how to make it work after next release of Sync framework ships.(Second half of this year) 

Monday, June 7, 2010 6:42 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Yes, Sync framework can work in Windows Azure worker role or web role. However, some work needs to be done to make it work. The major problem to solve is that you can not register COM components in Windows Azure but Sync Framework is built on top of COM. (The Microsoft.Synchronization.SimpleProviders is a managed code sync framework dll which also depends on base sync COM components) However, there is a way to make it work using manifest.

We will post a sample to show how to make it work after next release of Sync framework ships.(Second half of this year) 

Monday, June 7, 2010 6:42 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi

Do you mind giving me some pointers on where I can find this dll. I would very much appreciate it.

Within a Worker Role, I am currently using FileSystemWatcher to sync my files to an outside data storage (blob container).

However, I am worried about its scalability and thread safety.

I saw the Asure Sync sample, but because of the Microsoft.Synchronization.SimpleProviders, I could not use it.

Curious, is Sync Framework thread safe?

Thanks
    Jeff in Seattle
    Monday, June 7, 2010 10:55 PM