none
SOLVED - Cannot see WHS via windows explorer with Windows 7 box RRS feed

• Question

• Well I've been struggling with this one for a few days not, searching the FAQ's and forums.  My problem is the following.

I have my main office PC that has can dual boot.  When I boot using win XP pro I can see the WHS and access it via windows explorer.  When I boot using Windows 7 the only thing that Windows explorer sees is the home server as a Media Device.  It's not displaying as a PC that I can access. 

Another note the home server web console works just fine, I just want to be able to drag and drop files the way I do between local hard drives.
    I'm also running powerpack 3 on the WHS box.

I'm hoping for any assistance you can provide.

All the best,

Wade
    • Edited by wv1973 Wednesday, January 13, 2010 3:08 AM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 8:56 PM

Answers

• PROBLEM SOLVED.

To be honest with you I'm not sure what got changed, but I used a freeware application called "Vista Services Optimizer" on my Windows 7 box.  I did the automatic tuneup and answered the questionnaire regarding what you use your system for.  The main difference from the last time I used it was I was using a network, and using windows backup.  When it was done Voila I could not access my Media server through windows explorer..

Phewff this was really starting to become a pain.  I hope this helps others out there in the same boat.

Cheers,

Wade
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 3:07 AM

All replies

• Have you tried using the link to Shared Folders on Server that was placed on your desktop when you installed the connector?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 9:13 PM
  • Yes and what I get is the following error message:
    Windows cannot access \\HOMESERVER

Check the spelling of the name.  Otherwise there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose.

error details are as follow:
    Error code 0x80070035
    The network path was not found.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 9:32 PM
  • PROBLEM SOLVED.

To be honest with you I'm not sure what got changed, but I used a freeware application called "Vista Services Optimizer" on my Windows 7 box.  I did the automatic tuneup and answered the questionnaire regarding what you use your system for.  The main difference from the last time I used it was I was using a network, and using windows backup.  When it was done Voila I could not access my Media server through windows explorer..

Phewff this was really starting to become a pain.  I hope this helps others out there in the same boat.

Cheers,

Wade
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 3:07 AM
  • I am having a similar problem, I think.  I am a complete newbie so I am not completely sure what to expect.

Using the link you mentioned I have complete access to the server files.  It opens up Windows Explorer and I can move around with ease.  But if I just open Windows Explorer, it does not see the server.  Likewise, if I want to open a file on the server from any program, the server does not appear in the search box.

I have been searching the web for something like this and this post was about as close as I can find.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rich

Friday, February 4, 2011 3:44 AM