The Live Update messed me up! RRS feed

• Question

•  

Let me skim over the graphics boxes that pop up that have corrupted graphics preventing you from being able to click a choice. Why complain about "URGENT" need to select a back up program when all I want to do is tell it to stop flashing me with the urgent balloons I'll handle the back up.

My main complaint is I have two computers here in my home office. Both hooked to the same Router. This latest update insisted I call one my hub circle or some such nonesense and the other. . . well what ever. The point is that after the re - start that the update required my second computer could no longer connect to the internet or to my other computer.

After much time fidling with it and reading how to fix it and hunting for the problem and changing things I finally resorted to going to install uninstall software and uninstalling Live OneCare from that computer. Bingo. Now it connects to the internet fine.

Why if a company is going to force an update down our throats first thing in the morning can't they at least make it so it works?

Thursday, January 10, 2008 4:22 PM

Answers

• First of all, I'm sorry to read that you had a problem with the upgrade on that PC.

The upgrade was staged yesterday afternoon and most people will not have encountered any problems except perhaps the dialogs that annoyed you (and others).

The reason that the Urgent status to configure backup was set on the upgrade is that the backup process changed in 2.0 and requires users to define their backup plan or no backups will take place. Since you (like me) don't use OneCare backup, it should be a simple matter to uncheck the box to turn on backup on this PC.

The prompt about the Hub should not have caused any issues, it is a new feature of OneCare and the dialog was designed to inform you of your options with this functionality.

I don't know what you tried before you uninstalled OneCare from that PC or if the only problem after the restart was a network connectivity issue, so I can't tell you what to try. I suspect that you may have been able to resolve the problem by opening OneCare and clicking on the Change Settings and configuring the network to be Home or Work instead of a public network, but there may have been more involved.

If you plan to reinstall OneCare and run into problems, post back or contact support for further help.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Thursday, January 10, 2008 5:34 PM