Added PC does not show up in circle RRS feed

• Question

•  

A couple of days ago, I installed OneCare on two PCs at home; one is running XP professional, the other is XP home.  Both installations have the same windows live ID (as verified from the help menu) and both seem to be otherwise operating properly.  The problem is the the XP home machine (which was set to be a hub for the circle) is not showing any machines in the circle.  Only the "Manage your circle" link appears on the left of the window and it only contains instructions for adding add'l PCs and how to rename this PC.  How do I get the other machine (the XP professional machine) to appear in the circle?  The XP professional machine is not set up as a hub.  Both machines have internet connectivity and both are running OneCare 2.0.2500.14

I have attempted to resolve this issue by re-installing OneCare on the XP professional machine, but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

--Eric

Thursday, January 3, 2008 1:43 AM

Answers

• Success! 

Many, many months prior to installing OneCare, I had disabled NetBios over TCP.  To get shares to work, I added entries in the "host" file for name resolution.

On a hunch, I re-enabled NetBios over TCP on both machines. After rebooting, I immediately saw both machines in the circle.  Apparently, OneCare needs NetBios to operate correctly.

Thanks again!

--Eric

Sunday, January 6, 2008 3:34 AM

All replies

• On the hub machine, what happens when your click "check for updates" in the main window?

How about making the Pro machine a hub and see if it shows the Home machine? You can always "demote" the Pro machine once again from being a hub under the Manage My OneCare Circle.

I suspect a connectivity issue on one of the machines is causing the issue.

You may want to contact support.

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, January 3, 2008 2:25 AM
  • Thanks for the very prompt response.  When I click on "check for updates", OneCare appears to go through the process of checking for updates, which takes 10-15 seconds, then completes.  No apparent changes otherwise take place.  I tried this process on both machines.  I have sent this question to support and await a response.  I would try making the Pro machine a hub, but I don't want to change the environment before hearing back from them.  I will post the results in this thread.

Thanks again for the quick response.

--Eric

Thursday, January 3, 2008 3:26 AM
  • You're welcome and please keep us posted on the progress.

-steve

Thursday, January 3, 2008 7:25 PM
  • Success! 

Many, many months prior to installing OneCare, I had disabled NetBios over TCP.  To get shares to work, I added entries in the "host" file for name resolution.

On a hunch, I re-enabled NetBios over TCP on both machines. After rebooting, I immediately saw both machines in the circle.  Apparently, OneCare needs NetBios to operate correctly.

Thanks again!

--Eric

Sunday, January 6, 2008 3:34 AM
  • Thanks for reporting what resolved it for you!

-steve

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 2:43 AM
  • Thanks for posting this as well, this worked for me too.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 7:42 PM