defrag programs RRS feed

• Question

• I just ran the Vista home premium defrag yesterday and today I installed OneCare and the defrag tune-up said my drive was highly fragmented.  Is there a clash here or are the defrag methods different?  Should I only use the Vista defrag and disc cleaner and not use the tune-up in OneCare?  I don't want to destroy the good performance I've had with Vista.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 2:28 AM

Answers

• There is no clash and you should simply ignore the message from OneCare displayed in the Tune-up report. OneCare does a timed Defrag pass of the drive without performing any analysis first. When time is up, it stops and tells you that it couldn't finish. That doesn't mean that there is any problem at all with your system. The Defrag in OneCare is the same Defrag that Vista runs, only it runs it differently. Even if the Defrag in OneCare completes, your file system will already start becoming fragmented, as that's the way the file system works.

-steve

Thursday, March 27, 2008 3:27 PM
  • Some people have reported that doing a manual defrag right before a OneCare Tune-up allows the OneCare execution of the Defrag to complete.

As to your first question, I don't know if the Defrag always starts at the beginning and works its way over the sectors, but unless you do lots of large file saves on a badly fragmented drive, it is unlikely that you will have any problems from Defrag not completing. There are plenty of people who have never defragmented the file system and the PC works just fine. Would it work a little better if they ran a full defrag? Probably, but in most cases, it is really not critical. With OneCare executing the process monthly, you'll eliminate much of the fragmentation each time it runs.

-steve

Friday, March 28, 2008 1:23 AM

All replies

• There is no clash and you should simply ignore the message from OneCare displayed in the Tune-up report. OneCare does a timed Defrag pass of the drive without performing any analysis first. When time is up, it stops and tells you that it couldn't finish. That doesn't mean that there is any problem at all with your system. The Defrag in OneCare is the same Defrag that Vista runs, only it runs it differently. Even if the Defrag in OneCare completes, your file system will already start becoming fragmented, as that's the way the file system works.

-steve

Thursday, March 27, 2008 3:27 PM
  • Thanks for the quick answer.  I'm wondering though, if a person has a large drive of multiple drives and OneCare never finishes the defrag, wouldn't the fragmentation eventually become exteme on the portion the program never gets to if it doesn't "catch up"?  It seems, as others I see have suggested, that a disable prompt would be good or at least an option to allow the defrag to run to completion rather than just a set time, or both!  Which makes me think, if I manually defrag will OneCare recognize the session and give a "checkmark" in the checklist for disk fragmentation.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 7:45 PM
  • Some people have reported that doing a manual defrag right before a OneCare Tune-up allows the OneCare execution of the Defrag to complete.

As to your first question, I don't know if the Defrag always starts at the beginning and works its way over the sectors, but unless you do lots of large file saves on a badly fragmented drive, it is unlikely that you will have any problems from Defrag not completing. There are plenty of people who have never defragmented the file system and the PC works just fine. Would it work a little better if they ran a full defrag? Probably, but in most cases, it is really not critical. With OneCare executing the process monthly, you'll eliminate much of the fragmentation each time it runs.

-steve

Friday, March 28, 2008 1:23 AM
  • Sorry if this has been asked and answered but for me EVERY Tune-up report says:

"Because of high levels of disk fragmentation, starred volumes could not be completed in the Tune-up and are marked for defragmentation in later Tune-ups."

This is run at night so OneCare has all the resources it wants.

Why does the defragger never completely defrag all of my drives like it's supposed to?

Friday, June 6, 2008 3:45 PM
  • It has been asked before, but that's okay, as this is an annoying issue with OneCare. Ignore the warning. Defrag in OneCare is allowed to run for a certain amount of time and then it exits. Your PC will benefit from this Defrag, even if it never completes. Defragmentation is never complete, anyway, as the volume will begin fragmenting immediately as you use the PC.

-steve

Saturday, June 7, 2008 12:57 AM
  • "Defragmentation is never complete, anyway, as the volume will begin fragmenting immediately as you use the PC."

Well of course that's true but I guess what I was really asking was rhetorical---and what I really meant to ask was if Microsoft knows of this problem why don't they fix it?  I don't know if you're in a position to answer that or not.  Thanks for your reply though.

Saturday, June 7, 2008 11:35 PM
  • You're right, I can't answer for Microsoft. I'm hopeful that they fix this by changing the messaging or providing more configurability for the Defrag option during Tune-up.
    -steve
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 9:33 PM