none
PLEASE HELP ME WITH MY REINSTALL BEFORE I GO BALLISTIC RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I just reinstalled WHS and need some help.  I know something is messed up.  Look at the following photo:

mycomputer

This is what my hard drives look like after a fresh reinstall.  For some reason, what use to be my D:\ drive with all my tombstones, etc. is now H:\.  In the H:\ drive, all of my tombstones and shares appear to be present.  When I click on the other drives, I can see files present.  However, I know my drives should not appear as individual drives.

Also, noticeably absent from my new install is the Windows Home Server Connector control panel.

PLEASE HELP ME ADDRESS THIS PROBLEM.  WITH ALL THE FILES PRESENT, I ASSUME I CAN REPAIR THIS.  PLEASE HELP!!!!!
    Monday, May 18, 2009 12:50 AM

Answers

• I have 9 drives total.

Disk 0 = System & Boot Drive (950 GB)

Disk 1 - 8 = DATA Drives (1.5 TB each)

All drives are SATA.  They are set as IDE drives in BIOS.  4 of the drives are hooked into my Adaptec SATA card.  I install drivers for the card at installation and the drives appear.

My drives are installed properly.  My boot order is cd-rom, floppy, system disk.  When I take out the Install CD and remove a floppy, my hard drive kicks in and takes me to WHS.

That's not what I meant by first port on the mobo.  Is your primary drive plugged into the mobo or the SATA card?  If the mobo, is it port 0 (check your mobo documentation to find out which port is 0)?

Assuming I can't get the reinstallation option to work (i'm not holding my breath), are my steps above correct for saving my data?

Yes.  See the FAQ post:  How to recover data after server failure.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 4:33 AM

All replies

• You can try to use the Computer Management tool (right-click My Computer -> Manage) and assign it to a different drive letter. I'm not sure whether this will actually fix your problem
    Monday, May 18, 2009 4:02 AM
  • The bigger problem may be, that the disk, which is now the system disk, could have been a former data volume, so that the data on that volume is potential gone.
    Are C: and D: on the same disk in disk management console? Or C: and H:?
    Changing the drive letters in disk management would be at least worth a try (especially if the later is the case).

If this does not work out, I recommend to follow the procedure described in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, May 18, 2009 8:43 AM
  • Are C: and D: on the same disk in disk management console? Or C: and H:?
    Changing the drive letters in disk management would be at least worth a try (especially if the later is the case).

The good news (as seen by the photo below) is that C:\ and H:\ are on the same disk.  When I went through installation, I was extremely careful.  To get where I am now, I deleted the partition for C:\ only.  By doing so, the partition for my old D:\ was left intact (albeit now as H:\) and all my old drive partitions were left intact.

I will try changing the drive letters and let you know what happens.  Assuiming I successfully complete this step, will my system automatically start rebuilding, or will I need to do something else?

compmanagement
    Monday, May 18, 2009 12:14 PM
  • When I try and do this, it says "Windows cannot change the drive letter of your boot or system volume."  Any suggestions?
    Monday, May 18, 2009 12:17 PM
  • Hi,
    you do not wish to change the drive letter for C:. (This cannot be done besides in the registry as listed in KB223188.)
    You change first D: to something else, then H: to D:.
    A rebuild will not happen at a later stage, and there is no manual procedure I would know to trigger one besides going again through the reinstallation process.
    I am still not sure, what caused the change of the drive sequence.
    So maybe you can be so kind and before going on, register on Microsoft Connect and issue a bug report, as outlined in this thread.

Olaf

Monday, May 18, 2009 12:34 PM
  • Olaf:

I am not changing the C:\ letter.  I changed the current d:\ drive to n:\ in order to free up d:\.  I then restarted and tried chaging h:\ (which has the tombstones, etc) to d:\ and that is when I got this error.

Also, I cannot install Windows Home Server Connector.  When I try, I get the following error:

connector

Any clue on how to fix this?
    Monday, May 18, 2009 12:38 PM
  • You could try to change the drive letter to d: in the registry as described in the linked KB article (maybe attempt in safe mode?).

Did you at any time perform any hacks to move D: fully to another drive? If so, this could be a result.

Since your WHS cannot work properly with that wrong current disk assignment, I assume some services are not started, which are required for the Connector software to find the server.
    Olaf
    Monday, May 18, 2009 1:27 PM
  • Hello:

My drivers are straight and installation sees my all of my hard drives.  However, it doesn't offer me the option to reinstall.  It only offers a new installation.  Is there a way to force it to do a reinstall?

99% of my data was set to Backup Folders so I have backups. 

My boot drive and system drive both appear as Disc 0 in the Disk Management tab.  If a server reinstall is not available, what are my options?  I have read the post about How to Recover Data after Server Failure. 

It would seem if the reinstall option is unavailable, I would need to do the following:

1.)  Detach every hard drive except for the system drive.

2.)  Do a fresh install

3.)  Install an empty drive into the storage pool so I have adequate space

4.)  Attach each drive on a client machine and copy the contents of the DE folder into the server share folder

5.)  Keep doing this until I have everything copied.

My only question regards the Duplicated Files.  When I open a specific data drive, some of the files are shown.  These same files are found on another data drive (presumably because of the backup).  However, I cannot open these files.  Is osmething wrong?
    Monday, May 18, 2009 10:58 PM
  • Hello:

My drivers are straight and installation sees my all of my hard drives.  However, it doesn't offer me the option to reinstall.  It only offers a new installation.  Is there a way to force it to do a reinstall?

Chances are your primary drive is not connected to the first port on the motherboard.  Please give us the details of all of your hard drives (drive types, sizes, which one is supposed to be the primary drive, etc).
    Monday, May 18, 2009 11:35 PM
  • I have 9 drives total.

All drives are SATA.  They are set as IDE drives in BIOS.  4 of the drives are hooked into my Adaptec SATA card.  I install drivers for the card at installation and the drives appear.

My drives are installed properly.  My boot order is cd-rom, floppy, system disk.  When I take out the Install CD and remove a floppy, my hard drive kicks in and takes me to WHS.

Assuming I can't get the reinstallation option to work (i'm not holding my breath), are my steps above correct for saving my data?

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 12:13 AM
  • I have 9 drives total.

That's not what I meant by first port on the mobo.  Is your primary drive plugged into the mobo or the SATA card?  If the mobo, is it port 0 (check your mobo documentation to find out which port is 0)?

Yes.  See the FAQ post:  How to recover data after server failure.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 4:33 AM