lsid? RRS feed

• Question

• What is lsid? why does it appear next to my result on MSN Live Search? Many thanks...

Trav
    Friday, January 18, 2008 11:44 PM

Answers

• Hi There,

It's been a few days with no response, but I have noticed there are a few strange queries poping up after what appear to be just domain names within your search results. Here are a couple:

http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=email+marketing&scope=&first=21&FORM=PORE
    Returns:

Email marketing services and email marketing tools from SubscriberMail

A provider of email marketing services and technology, SubscriberMail enables clients to send email marketing campaigns through an easy-to-use Web-based email marketing solution

I don't notice that they're using query strings anywhere...

Or:

Email Marketing software for online retailers, interactive agencies, and marketing departments. ... Email Marketing Software for online retailers, interactive agencies, and ...

I'm going to guess that bronto.com would have little to no reason to be associated with a "Life Sciences Identifier".

At any rate, I've confirmed that my client has no knowledge of participating in the "Life Sciences ID" program at any point. Also, when searched from the Phillipines, the lsid string DID NOT appear in the results.

Additonally, as mentioned before, the lsid append does not appear on any other search engine or directory, and is not related to any script or parser on the client site.

It appears that MSN is tagging some listings, and it would be great to know why, what it means, why it's only on some sites, and only in results from some data centers. Many thanks

Travis
    Friday, January 25, 2008 12:46 AM
  •  

Not sure.  Honestly, looking at the crawler info, I can see these pages being picked up during crawl.  The crawler is returning what is seeing.   I have reported it to my crawl team to make sure that there aren't any issues.     It could be in the publishing system.   We don't amend anything to the links.    It could also be that someone who is linking to these sites has added the query string.   In any regard it isn't hurting your rank at all.

Jeremiah

Monday, February 4, 2008 3:17 AM

All replies

• LSIDs stand for Life Science Identifier.  You can read more about this at http://lsids.sourceforge.net/.   You would need to share more details for me to specifically say why Live Search is displaying this.

Jeremiah

Monday, January 21, 2008 7:10 AM
  • Apprciate your response Jeremiah; if your theory is correct, then why does MSN show this number next to our search results, and not any of the other search engines? And also, if it was a Life Science Identifier, why does it not return any result when I try to search that LSID? At any rate the client has never mentioned this to the development team, and the number does not seem to related to anything that we're aware of...

My theory is that this has to do with the MSN adcenter account, I'm just trying to find out if that's the case from someone at microsoft. If any body has that info it's much appreciated...

Trav
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 5:01 PM
  • Can you send me the query that produces the result?  I can probably resolve this for you quickly.

Jeremiah

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 5:37 PM
  • Hi Jeremiah, and thanks for the response - I've emailed the info to you. Please let me know if you need more info, and have a great afternoon.

Trav

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 6:43 PM
  • Hi There,

It's been a few days with no response, but I have noticed there are a few strange queries poping up after what appear to be just domain names within your search results. Here are a couple:

http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=email+marketing&scope=&first=21&FORM=PORE
    Returns:

Email marketing services and email marketing tools from SubscriberMail

A provider of email marketing services and technology, SubscriberMail enables clients to send email marketing campaigns through an easy-to-use Web-based email marketing solution

I don't notice that they're using query strings anywhere...

Or:

Email Marketing software for online retailers, interactive agencies, and marketing departments. ... Email Marketing Software for online retailers, interactive agencies, and ...

I'm going to guess that bronto.com would have little to no reason to be associated with a "Life Sciences Identifier".

At any rate, I've confirmed that my client has no knowledge of participating in the "Life Sciences ID" program at any point. Also, when searched from the Phillipines, the lsid string DID NOT appear in the results.

Additonally, as mentioned before, the lsid append does not appear on any other search engine or directory, and is not related to any script or parser on the client site.

It appears that MSN is tagging some listings, and it would be great to know why, what it means, why it's only on some sites, and only in results from some data centers. Many thanks

Travis
    Friday, January 25, 2008 12:46 AM
  •  

Not sure.  Honestly, looking at the crawler info, I can see these pages being picked up during crawl.  The crawler is returning what is seeing.   I have reported it to my crawl team to make sure that there aren't any issues.     It could be in the publishing system.   We don't amend anything to the links.    It could also be that someone who is linking to these sites has added the query string.   In any regard it isn't hurting your rank at all.

Jeremiah

Monday, February 4, 2008 3:17 AM