speech server 2007 and voip gateways/providers RRS feed

• Question

•  

folks, i'm a noob discovering the exciting world of speech server 2k7, so any input is appreciated.

Has anyone deployed a complete end-to-end *software* solution, ie no hardware TIMs?

I understand that there are a few VOIP companies that facilitate SIP over TCP.. so they act as the PSTN/VOIP gateway, and MSS is the VOIP endpoint. Can someone recommend some actual companies that seamlessly integrate with MSS2k7?

For example, i found these guys.. http://www.vailsys.com/mss/index.html.. i'm yet to hear from their support on how things work.

Do i need OCS in the above mix.. ie i read some articles about configuring the mediation server (didnt dive deep)..

assuming a softphone SIP client can connect to MSS2k7 without OCS in between, then i assume a VOIP provider (say Vonage) can give me a PSTN phone number, where the VOIP provider directly connects to MSS2k7?

If yes, what all needs to be configured?

thx!!

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 10:45 PM

All replies

• beuller?

Thursday, August 7, 2008 4:36 AM
  • Speech Server is just a component of Office Communication server much like Word is a component of Office. Unlike Word however you cannot purchase Speech Server separately. The two options are OCS Standard or OCS Enterprise. If you're looking to do a straight telephony application then all you need is the $699 Standard Edition.

As for SIP providers, it really depends on what you're trying to do. What kind of application are you thinking of building?

Thursday, August 7, 2008 2:58 PM
  • thanks for the input on versions.

I'm looking to build a simple IVR app that will connect to an external VOIP system (like Vonage or whoever supports SIP over tcp). I don't want to install a telephony board.

Can someone recommend a VOIP provider that integrates well with speech server 2k7?

What configuration would be needed in the above case, for incoming and outgoing calls?

Thursday, August 7, 2008 8:31 PM
  • yo MVP's / Microsoft, any inputs to make the product more adoptable in the real world?

Sunday, August 10, 2008 11:05 PM
  • bump
    Friday, August 7, 2009 3:23 PM
  • I would love to do that too simple IVR not many callers, is that possible without hardware?
    Monday, August 10, 2009 5:38 PM
  • I'm not sure what you mean "without hardware". You'll need a machine to run Speech Server and your application along with some kind of gateway to provide access to the phone system (PSTN - Public Switch Telephone Network).

The simplest solution is an analog gateway connected to a standard copper telephone line (called a POTS line for "Plain Old Telephone System"). There are a number of gateways on the market (Dialogic's DMG line is a very popular one).

If you've got an IP PBX or SIP Gateway already that supports SIP over TCP that will also work.
    - Marc LaFleur http://gotspeech.net/blogs/speakingfromtheedge/
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 5:21 AM