Vista Will Not Backup on Central Device connected to XP RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've got two laptops(one has XP and one has Vista) and one desktop (XP) on a centralized plan. My external hard drive is connected to the desktop that is directly connected to the network. My XP laptop backs up just fine with out a single problem via wireless network. My Vista laptop Will not. This is the message I get.

OneCare could not back up files to Central Backup Device because the

device is currenlly inaccessable. Please make sure that the backup device is

connected, network id available and firewall settings allow backup, then try

running backup again.

I belive I've got my network and firewall set up correctly. I NEED HELP PLEASE!

Monday, April 7, 2008 1:11 PM

All replies

• Can you access the shared location from the Vista laptop via Windows Explorer? Can you write files to the Share and also delete files from the Share?

-steve

Monday, April 7, 2008 5:18 PM
  • From XP to XP yes. From Vista to Xp or XP to Vista, NO.

Monday, April 7, 2008 8:40 PM
  • Let's look at the firewall settings on the Vista machine:

Open OneCare.

Click Change Settings

On the firewall tab, click configure firewall

If the network is shown as Public, click Change Location to change it to "Home or Work."

Click the Advanced Settings button

Click Network connections tab.

If there are multiple active connections shown, you may need to disable them in your Windows network connections settings. (Network and Sharing Center, manage connections, in Vista; Right click My Network Places and select Properties on the Start menu in XP)

On the Ports and Protocols tab, add a check mark next to File and Printer Sharing - for subnet and Internet if the first setting alone (after all of the above are verified) does not allow Sharing to work.

-steve
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 1:49 PM
  • I just Did What you said and I still get the same message on the vista laptop. Anyother ideas or should I break out my gun and put the horse down?

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 7:11 PM
  • Don't shoot!

Turn off the OneCare firewall on the target machine first, then the vista laptop and see if you can access the Share.

Confirm the permissions on the Share if you still have a problem.

If the OneCare firewall being off doesn't resolve it, then it's a permissions or Sharing issue outside of OneCare.

-steve

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 7:15 PM