Can I use a workflow to share a record in CRM 2011? RRS feed

• Question

• *NB We are using CRM 2011 online*

I have a custom field on the Order entity called 'Salesperson', which is a user lookup. What I want to do is share the Order (NOT assign) with the user in the 'Salesperson' field.

Obviously assigning the record with a workflow is easy, but there doenst seem to be any way to share the record.... can it be done? As we use CRM 2011 online we cannot use custom workflow assemblies.

Thanks

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 2:44 PM

Answers

• You can get around the lack of custom workflow activities by creating a custom entity and then having a sandboxed plugin react to a message.

In your specific example, you might create a new custom entity called Share Order Request with two 1:N relationships (one to systemuser and one to order) and then register a plug-in to fire on Create of that entity.  Within the plugin, use the OrganizationService to perform the Share as normal.

You can then create an instance of your Share Order Request from within the workflow.

-Corey

• Proposed as answer by Corey O'Brien Tuesday, March 29, 2011 2:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by BusinessWorks Wednesday, March 30, 2011 8:19 AM
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 2:55 PM
  • See this article which explains how you can achieve custom workflow actions in CRM Online: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/crm/archive/2010/11/05/custom-workflow-actions-in-microsoft-dynamics-crm-2011-online.aspx
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 12:25 AM

All replies