none
Computers & Backup tab missing from Admin Console RRS feed

  • Question

  •  biggrin.gif Everything has been great with my WHS for several weeks now, that is until last night ohmy.gif when i logged into the console to backup my server to the external USB drive after adding new files to the server. However when i logged into the console with the Admin password the "Computers & Backup" tab was missing!! I tried Hot & Cold restarts of the server but the "Computers & Backup" tab is still missing. now the funny thing is the backup service is still running and computers are still backing up (supposedly, i did run a manual one to be sure and it said it completed successfully), and all the other aspects of the console work. I tried to do a repair of the backup database and that just logs me out of the console with no repair process being performed. Using cleanup doesn't do anything to resolve the issue either.

    When i remote into the server and i click on the Computers tab with a known remote access enable account i get an error as follows:

    Windows Home Server Remote Access has encountered an error.
    To fix this error, please try the following:
    Click here to refresh this page.


    Click here to return to the Remote Access home page and try your task again.

    If you're still experiencing difficulties please talk with your home server administrator for assistance.


    all the other aspects of the remote access page works fine and i can access files remotely no problem.

    Anyone got any suggestions on how to get the "Computers & Backup" tab and the remote access back into the console short of doing a server reinstall which i really don't want to have to do a third time in just 2 1/2 months.


    UPDATE: STILL NEED HELP

    no luck in the possible solutions i got on WGS, so i decided to do a server reinstallation despite it being my third time in the last month or two. anyways after i got it all setup and installed the connector software on the other computers, i opened the Admin console again and wouldnt you know it STILL NO "computers & Backup Tab". am i missing something??????? i know the tab was their three days ago. but all of a sudden since yesterday it is gone and a server reinstallation is not helping matters. HELP!!!!!!!

    Thursday, December 11, 2008 2:33 AM

Answers

  • tom,

    This error has appeared before and there appears to be only one way to correct it, and that's a Server Re-Install.

    However, if that doesn't appeal, the following might clear it, but no guarantees:

    RDP into the server, then using Regedit, navigate to:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ASP.NET_2.0.50727\Names (this will vary, depending on the version of .NET framework you have installed).

    Right-click "Names" and select Permissions on the context menu.

    Click Add and enter NETWORK SERVICE, click "Check Names" and click "OK".
     
    With NETWORK SERVICE highlighed in the "Groups or User Names" list click "Advanced"

    On the "Advanced Security Settings for Names" dialogue highlight NETWORK SERVICE and click "Edit"
     
    In the "Permission entry for Names" dialogue check the "Name" box is showing "NETWORK SERVICE" and put check marks against "Query Value", "Set Value", "Create Subkey", "Enumerate Subkeys", "Notify" and "Read Control".

    Click "OK" on all the dialogues and close Regedit.


    As I say, if this doesn't 'fix' it, then I think you will be down to a re-install.

    Colin





    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Monday, December 15, 2008 7:10 PM
    Moderator

All replies

  • tom wick said:

     biggrin.gif Everything has been great with my WHS for several weeks now, that is until last night ohmy.gif when i logged into the console to backup my server to the external USB drive after adding new files to the server. However when i logged into the console with the Admin password the "Computers & Backup" tab was missing!! I tried Hot & Cold restarts of the server but the "Computers & Backup" tab is still missing. now the funny thing is the backup service is still running and computers are still backing up (supposedly, i did run a manual one to be sure and it said it completed successfully), and all the other aspects of the console work. I tried to do a repair of the backup database and that just logs me out of the console with no repair process being performed. Using cleanup doesn't do anything to resolve the issue either.

    When i remote into the server and i click on the Computers tab with a known remote access enable account i get an error as follows:

    Windows Home Server Remote Access has encountered an error.
    To fix this error, please try the following:
    Click here to refresh this page.


    Click here to return to the Remote Access home page and try your task again.

    If you're still experiencing difficulties please talk with your home server administrator for assistance.


    all the other aspects of the remote access page works fine and i can access files remotely no problem.

    Anyone got any suggestions on how to get the "Computers & Backup" tab and the remote access back into the console short of doing a server reinstall which i really don't want to have to do a third time in just 2 1/2 months.


    UPDATE: STILL NEED HELP

    no luck in the possible solutions i got on WGS, so i decided to do a server reinstallation despite it being my third time in the last month or two. anyways after i got it all setup and installed the connector software on the other computers, i opened the Admin console again and wouldnt you know it STILL NO "computers & Backup Tab". am i missing something??????? i know the tab was their three days ago. but all of a sudden since yesterday it is gone and a server reinstallation is not helping matters. HELP!!!!!!!



    You should probably file a bug report on Connect.  Having said that, what add-ins/apps have you installed on your server?
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 4:00 AM
    Moderator
  • tom wick said:

     biggrin.gif Everything has been great with my WHS for several weeks now, that is until last night ohmy.gif when i logged into the console to backup my server to the external USB drive after adding new files to the server. However when i logged into the console with the Admin password the "Computers & Backup" tab was missing!! I tried Hot & Cold restarts of the server but the "Computers & Backup" tab is still missing. now the funny thing is the backup service is still running and computers are still backing up (supposedly, i did run a manual one to be sure and it said it completed successfully), and all the other aspects of the console work. I tried to do a repair of the backup database and that just logs me out of the console with no repair process being performed. Using cleanup doesn't do anything to resolve the issue either.

    When i remote into the server and i click on the Computers tab with a known remote access enable account i get an error as follows:

    Windows Home Server Remote Access has encountered an error.
    To fix this error, please try the following:
    Click here to refresh this page.


    Click here to return to the Remote Access home page and try your task again.

    If you're still experiencing difficulties please talk with your home server administrator for assistance.


    all the other aspects of the remote access page works fine and i can access files remotely no problem.

    Anyone got any suggestions on how to get the "Computers & Backup" tab and the remote access back into the console short of doing a server reinstall which i really don't want to have to do a third time in just 2 1/2 months.


    UPDATE: STILL NEED HELP

    no luck in the possible solutions i got on WGS, so i decided to do a server reinstallation despite it being my third time in the last month or two. anyways after i got it all setup and installed the connector software on the other computers, i opened the Admin console again and wouldnt you know it STILL NO "computers & Backup Tab". am i missing something??????? i know the tab was their three days ago. but all of a sudden since yesterday it is gone and a server reinstallation is not helping matters. HELP!!!!!!!



    What version(s) are you running? When you log into your Windows Home Server Console and go to Settings>Resources>

    What are the versions listed?

    Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 4:15 AM
    Moderator
  •  Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.8
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.0

    Thnaks for any help you can give me
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 1:11 PM
  • tom wick said:

     Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.8
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.0

    Thnaks for any help you can give me


    Oh, you're behind. :)  Please update your server and reboot.  (And keep doing that until it says there are no new updates.)
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 2:46 PM
    Moderator
  • thats fine for now but i dont think that is my problem as before i did the reinstall last night, the previous installation was completely up to date, with no updates and it still wasn't showing up.
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 3:45 PM
  • tom wick said:

    thats fine for now but i dont think that is my problem as before i did the reinstall last night, the previous installation was completely up to date, with no updates and it still wasn't showing up.



    After you did the server reinstallation, did you install any add-ins?

    Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 9:19 PM
    Moderator
  • Yes but the tab wasn't there even before i put the Add-ins on it.
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 11:08 PM
  • I looked in the event viewer to see if i could find an error or other issue the only thing of importance that i can tell that would break this is the following error:


    Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0
    Event Category: Web Event
    Event ID: 1309
    Date:  12/11/2008
    Time:  3:52:20 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: SERVER
    Description:
    Event code: 3005
    Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.
    Event time: 12/11/2008 3:52:20 PM
    Event time (UTC): 12/11/2008 8:52:20 PM
    Event ID: 15c8b16af5b7437c82b1f8671bba064c
    Event sequence: 12
    Event occurrence: 1
    Event detail code: 0
     
    Application information:
        Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/1/Root/Remote-2-128735022537343750
        Trust level: Full
        Application Virtual Path: /Remote
        Application Path: c:\inetpub\remote\
        Machine name: SERVER
     
    Process information:
        Process ID: 4840
        Process name: w3wp.exe
        Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
     
    Exception information:
        Exception type: TargetInvocationException
        Exception message: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
     
    Request information:
        Request URL: https://******.homeserver.com/remote/admin.aspx
        Request path: /remote/admin.aspx
        User host address: xxx.xxx.xxx.239
        User: tom
        Is authenticated: True
        Authentication Type: Forms
        Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
     
    Thread information:
        Thread ID: 1
        Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
        Is impersonating: False
        Stack trace:    at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
       at System.Web.UI.WebControls.ObjectDataSourceView.InvokeMethod(ObjectDataSourceMethod method, Boolean disposeInstance, Object& instance)
       at System.Web.UI.WebControls.ObjectDataSourceView.ExecuteSelect(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments)
       at System.Web.UI.DataSourceView.Select(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments, DataSourceViewSelectCallback callback)
       at System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataBoundControl.PerformSelect()
       at System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.DataBind()
       at System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridView.DataBind()
       at System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.EnsureDataBound()
       at System.Web.UI.WebControls.CompositeDataBoundControl.CreateChildControls()
       at System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls()
       at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()
       at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()
       at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()
       at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()
       at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
     
     
    Custom event details:

    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

    Thursday, December 11, 2008 11:29 PM
  • anyone with any further ideas on this bug or issue i am having??
    Monday, December 15, 2008 6:50 PM
  • tom,

    This error has appeared before and there appears to be only one way to correct it, and that's a Server Re-Install.

    However, if that doesn't appeal, the following might clear it, but no guarantees:

    RDP into the server, then using Regedit, navigate to:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ASP.NET_2.0.50727\Names (this will vary, depending on the version of .NET framework you have installed).

    Right-click "Names" and select Permissions on the context menu.

    Click Add and enter NETWORK SERVICE, click "Check Names" and click "OK".
     
    With NETWORK SERVICE highlighed in the "Groups or User Names" list click "Advanced"

    On the "Advanced Security Settings for Names" dialogue highlight NETWORK SERVICE and click "Edit"
     
    In the "Permission entry for Names" dialogue check the "Name" box is showing "NETWORK SERVICE" and put check marks against "Query Value", "Set Value", "Create Subkey", "Enumerate Subkeys", "Notify" and "Read Control".

    Click "OK" on all the dialogues and close Regedit.


    As I say, if this doesn't 'fix' it, then I think you will be down to a re-install.

    Colin





    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Monday, December 15, 2008 7:10 PM
    Moderator