UPS Support with WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I was wondering about WHS's support for UPS's -- I have a couple of APC units (one with serial, one with USB signalling) kicking around, and am going to use them with my WHS setup.  My question is, does the WHS software (or connector software) pass any UPS data back to the networked computers, i.e. if the server drops to UPS power, can the setup alert users of this?

Thanks,

Brad

Monday, March 19, 2007 9:46 PM

Answers

• Windows Home Server doesn't monitor this, but you could always make this a suggestion in Microsoft Connect.
    Monday, March 19, 2007 9:48 PM
  • The UPS service has been a part of Windows since at least Windows 2000. It was supplied by APC, and still works best with their UPSs, but any manufacturer that supports the (simple) protocol it uses to communicate with the UPS will be able to use the service to notify the OS.

As for the level at which you want to shut down, my observations indicate that it takes longer for a WHS to shut down than a standard desktop PC. I've got a UPS attached to mine, but I've set it to shut down at 50% battery. I only want the UPS to help it ride out momentary power drops (that we have way too many of). If there's an extended outage (more than a couple of minutes) I would prefer a graceful shutdown sooner rather than later.
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 2:17 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server doesn't monitor this, but you could always make this a suggestion in Microsoft Connect.
    Monday, March 19, 2007 9:48 PM
  • If you're connecting your UPS to the WHS with USB, and if you've got messenger service enabled, you could net send to your whole net that the server is on battery power.  But I agree that this would be a nice to have without extra configuration.
    Saturday, March 24, 2007 7:10 PM
  • I just hooked up my APC BackUPS ES.  One of the ones with USB signalling.  To my surprise, WHS has drivers for this built-in and recognised it immediately. 

If you go into the power configuration (run "powercfg.cpl") and choose the battery tab, you can define what is supposed to happen at two distinct power thresholds.  I've got mine set to play a sound at 80% and shut down at 20%, but you can also set it to run a program if you wish.  Haven't actually down a power-out test yet - I'll wait until nobody's using the network.

Mind you, I think if our home lost power, the family would know about it before they noticed any warning issues by the server!

Cheers,

Nick.

Sunday, April 1, 2007 7:26 AM
  • The UPS service has been a part of Windows since at least Windows 2000. It was supplied by APC, and still works best with their UPSs, but any manufacturer that supports the (simple) protocol it uses to communicate with the UPS will be able to use the service to notify the OS.

As for the level at which you want to shut down, my observations indicate that it takes longer for a WHS to shut down than a standard desktop PC. I've got a UPS attached to mine, but I've set it to shut down at 50% battery. I only want the UPS to help it ride out momentary power drops (that we have way too many of). If there's an extended outage (more than a couple of minutes) I would prefer a graceful shutdown sooner rather than later.
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 2:17 PM
  • I concur with Ken's thoughts on the matter. I found an old IBM UPS sitting around with a dead battery. I spent $12 on a new battery and it works great. It only has a serial interface which I have not attempted to connect (so far.) Primarily I want it to help the server ride through the everyday power fluctuations my house experiences.

If I end up connecting the serial interface to enable auto-shutdown during a prolonged outage I will post my experience here.

Paul

Sunday, April 1, 2007 2:42 PM
  •  nlangmaid wrote:

I just hooked up my APC BackUPS ES.  One of the ones with USB signalling.  To my surprise, WHS has drivers for this built-in and recognised it immediately. 

Nick.

I have an APC Battery Backup ES Series and WHS doesn't know squat about it.  There is no battery tab for it at all.
    Tuesday, April 3, 2007 1:41 AM
  • I would have to agree with the need for UPS support and shut-down in WHS.
    Tuesday, April 3, 2007 11:30 PM
  •  Athena wrote:
    I have an APC Battery Backup ES Series and WHS doesn't know squat about it. There is no battery tab for it at all.
    Umm, I just realized you may not be looking in the right place. You need to look at Power Options in Control Panel. Are you?
    Wednesday, April 4, 2007 12:05 AM
  • Not sure where you'd pick one up in the states, but I got myself an MGE Ellipse ASR 1500, which is working great, and supports either serial or USB connectors.

There's a peice of software you can download from their site (http://www.mgeups.com/) called the Network Management Proxy, which installs a subdirectory in IIS, that lets you monitor the UPS remotely, or add user authentication to allow some users view access, and others admin access. I was a bit worried about it installing stuff in IIS, that it'd screw up all sorts of things, but it coexists with the Home Server site wonderfully. It had a problem running the site initially, but that was just due to it not having write access in "C:\Program Files\MGE\Network Management Proxy".

It's a great peice of kit. It doesn't look *** ugly.. it's got enough power output to ensure my server will remain powered during fluctuations and allow it to shutdown gracefully during an outage, it's manageable via the network and even offsite if need be - furthermore, it keeps logs, so I can look at the power history of my house during the day from work (important, because we recently had major power issues of late, and while they're fixed now, I'd still like to make sure). But most importantly - the sucker was cheap. So cheap, I intend to buy another one for my desktop PC, later down the track.

Definately highly recommended.

Saturday, April 7, 2007 8:51 AM
  • I have several APC Smart UPS 700's - they're really nice units but only have the older serial interface.

I went out to Radio Shack and picked up their #26-183 USB to Serial Cable 6ft.  The sucker was $35, but I figured what the heck.

I copied the driver from the included CD over to my MediaSmart WHS and installed it with a remote desktop connection.  It took a manual update of the comm port from device manager and a couple plugging and unpluggings of the usb connector & then a reboot of WHS.  Selected "Smart signalling to any APC UPS" from the Configure... button on the UPS tab. It ended up coming up like a champ! 

I tested it and everything's cool.

It would be great to have an add-in to allow monitoring from the control panel and WOL for the HP MediaSmart box in case it does shutdown automatically.

Anyways, WHS seems to have the important bells & whistles of Server 2003 working.

Saturday, December 22, 2007 2:05 AM
  • www.gridjunction.com the beta is working great

Sunday, May 11, 2008 5:05 AM
  • I also signed up to test the gridjunction beta.  It works great with my APC UPS.  I tested it last night. 

Sunday, May 11, 2008 12:47 PM