internet disconnects,installation taking too long RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have dial up connection. After waiting over 2hrs for OneCare to install, my internet disconnects. Is there another way to install it from the software disc, without internet?

Thursday, March 27, 2008 8:58 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately, Penny, OneCare requires an active Internet connection to install even if you use a retail CD. The CD installation will go to the OneCare servers to download the latest bits, which will be pretty much the entire program as it is updated frequently.

Over dial-up, the installation can take 2 to 3 hours on a decent speed connection. If you have an excellent connection, close to 56K, it can be less than 2 hours. If your dial-up connection is very slow, over 2 or 3 hours is not unheard of.

Is your connection set to disconnect after 2 hours?

-steve

Friday, March 28, 2008 12:41 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately, Penny, OneCare requires an active Internet connection to install even if you use a retail CD. The CD installation will go to the OneCare servers to download the latest bits, which will be pretty much the entire program as it is updated frequently.

Over dial-up, the installation can take 2 to 3 hours on a decent speed connection. If you have an excellent connection, close to 56K, it can be less than 2 hours. If your dial-up connection is very slow, over 2 or 3 hours is not unheard of.

Is your connection set to disconnect after 2 hours?

-steve

Friday, March 28, 2008 12:41 AM
  • No, I dont think its set to disconnect. How could I check this and make it keep a connection?

Friday, March 28, 2008 12:58 PM
  • That would typically be a setting controlled on the ISP side if it exists. What could be happening is that the connection is idle too long, so you are disconnected due to no activity. Of course, downloading OneCare should be enough activity to keep the connection open. It may also be that your line quality is not the best, hence the slow connection speed and then the disconnect. Dial-up, unfortunately, is prone to problems like this since the phone lines were never designed for data connections and the phone companies don't guarantee that your line can support a data connection.

Do you typically stay online for long periods of time without a disconnect? When you are using the Internet to browse web sites is it very slow?

-steve

Friday, March 28, 2008 2:32 PM