I have SQL Server 2005 on the client RRS feed

• Question

• Subj. If I have SQL Server 2005 on the client can I use your service?

My situation:

Client: intranet web-site on ASP.NET 2.0 + SQL Server 2005.

Server: internet web-site on ASP.NET 2.0 + SQL Server 2005.

All main works and complete datas stores in a client. And weekly I need to sync partially data to the Server (prices, goods, news, e.t.c.). And some tables need to sync not all columns in table.

For exemple:

Client table columns: id, timestamp, guid, item_name, item_secret_info.

Need to sync only: id, timestamp, guid, item_name.

I have access to the Server from the Client. But don't have access from the Server to the Client (because it in intranet).

Please give my your advice about organizing architicture and my next steps.

Thanks!

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Friday, April 22, 2011 11:11 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 8:45 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi there,

Sync services allows you to filter the data as you wish; so you can download the columns execpt item_secret_info. 

However, in V1.0 of sync services we are only releasing a provider for SqlCE as the client. To use SQL Server as the client, you will need to implement the client provider interface yourself. Part of the interface is similar to the ServerProvider, that said, you can reuse the ServerSyncProvider to implement the client provider for SQL Server 2005.

Thanks

Sunday, February 25, 2007 11:07 PM
  •  

Not supporting Sql Server 2005 as a client would be a show-stopper for us. So, some obvious questions:

1. In what time frame do you intend to support Sql Server 2005 as a client?

2. What is the order of magnitude of effort of 'implement the client provider interface yourself'?

2.1. Is there/will there be any support / help / guidance for 2. above?

thanks

Matt

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 2:36 PM
  • Hi Rafik,

could you explain in general step by step what exactly I need for implementing client provider ? I mean I need on client side sqlserver also but not CE edition.

Thank you.

Regards.

Monday, March 12, 2007 8:14 AM
  • Hi There,

If you compare the abstract base classes ClientSyncProvider and ServerSyncProvider, you will notice that the client has few extra methods covering two broad functions:

1- Schema Creation
    the client provider accepts SyncSchema object with schema information and creates a table on the client database; this also includes adding change tracking infrastructure (tracking columns, tombstone table, triggers ..etc)
    2- Metadata management
    the client stores the sync anchor for itself (last sent anchor) and for the one received from the server (last received anchor).

Building a client provider for other stores requires implementing these two along with GetChanges() and ApplyChanges() methods.

This is very good feedback though and I think we will have to consider your request in our future plans for sync services. 

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 7:21 PM
  • Rafik, thank you.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 11:59 AM